What clutch???

I think I'm going to have to swap this ol tranny in my Jeep before to long.. I have BA-10 now, going with a AX-15..

I have a bookmark somewhere talking about the pilot bearing change, but I need to know what clutch to be researching. I'll be swapping the slave also to the external from the internal. lil info,, 89 4.o 2wd, tranny came out of XJ 2wd don't know the year though :wall:

here's the swap.

Also going to change the input seal, and output seals.. how do I pull/remove the rear old one?????

From I've been told, the factory clutches were made by Luks (Luchs?). The original on my '88 XJ lasted 204,000 miles and still had miles left when it was replaced in a pre-emptive strike when the slave cylinder went bad.

You're buying a kit, with both the pressure plate and disc? The key part you have to match up is the tranny input shaft diameter and spline count, because that's what the disc rides on. I think they should be the same for the BA 10/5 and the AX-15, but I'm not certain.

All of which says -- buy the kit based on the tranny, not the vehicle year.

Is that bell housing set up for an external slave? If so, it's for a '94 or newer, and you scored big time. Much better setup than that goofy internal slave/release bearing thingie.

You can use THIS to pull the seal, or just a screwdriver. Might be worth replacing the input seal also :brows:

I'll agree with buying a clutch kit for the New Tranny........AX15 w/external slave......

Also, inspect your flywheel really good......any hot spots, or scoring.......Replace it :yes:

You can use THIS to pull the seal, or just a screwdriver. Might be worth replacing the input seal also :brows:

I'll agree with buying a clutch kit for the New Tranny........AX15 w/external slave......

Also, inspect your flywheel really good......any hot spots, or scoring.......Replace it :yes:

I knew you were still kickin! I plan on replacing the input seal. I know I can get to it alot easier just removing the input flange. I won't be replacing this thing for another few months kinda cold, and I'm broke, so I'll just make a list of things to look for till then. Still have to find a slave,, I've seen them with the lines, but I just replaced the master, and I hate to spend that much cash on the pre-bled all in one... I'm hoping the clutch line for the one I have now will fit the new slave if not I guess I'll be bending tubing..........

yeah when you replace the clutch get some brake parts cleaner or something very bad for your skin and clean the flywheel and pressure plate. and grease or oil or lube will cause a crazy chatter in the clutch when you take off with it. as far as replacing the flywheel goes, if its got blue spots or brown or whatever color bigger than a dime then get a new one. if you question as to weather it needs to be replaced then go to your local mom and pop garage or a reputable garage (not midas or monro or any of them ) and ask their opinion. keep in mind they flywheels are not machinable.

Still have to find a slave,, I've seen them with the lines, but I just replaced the master, and I hate to spend that much cash on the pre-bled all in one... I'm hoping the clutch line for the one I have now will fit the new slave if not I guess I'll be bending tubing..........

See my post here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12826

If the link is bad, just holler, cause I'm an Internet newbie...can SEARCH all day, but other stuff, never sure if it works....If I see more than a couple parts requests, then Ill make a parts list and some pics....

Still have to find a slave,, I've seen them with the lines, but I just replaced the master, and I hate to spend that much cash on the pre-bled all in one... I'm hoping the clutch line for the one I have now will fit the new slave if not I guess I'll be bending tubing..........

See my post here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12826

If the link is bad, just holler, cause I'm an Internet newbie...can SEARCH all day, but other stuff, never sure if it works....If I see more than a couple parts requests, then Ill make a parts list and some pics....

The Wilwood looks like it might just work out for you..

wil-260-1304.jpg

I'm not buying another MC until this one starts leaking. That picture was taking from Summit by the way.

Got any specs on the slave cylinder you went with??

Got any specs on the slave cylinder you went with??

No specs, but here's another link....http://www.universityofjeep.ca/Tech/Clu ... Repair.htm

I made a couple changes regarding the line and the coupling piece, but this may work. Another thing, Ive heard that DOT 5 is the best fluid to use for this slave, I cannot remember if I saw that in this link, or another thread. I need to start keeping better track, since I had to traipse around myself, and I know linking stuff greatly helps shorten research time....