4X4 PROBLEM ON MJ 90

First sorry about my English :oops: I have a problem with my MJ, when I engage the 4x4 I can hear a strange sound coming from under the front of the car it only does in 4HI or 4LOW when the car is on movement and it gets louder when I do a U-turn the differential has a vacuum actuated diaphragm.

It is suppose to have 4.56 gear in it.(front and rear) with 31´s

Thanks! I hope you can understand me!!! :D

You are not trying to run it in 4WD on the road are you? The 4WD is only to be used off road on loose or slippery surfaces. If used on the raod, it will not make funny noises for long as it will break and stop moving ;) .

THANKS! but no I was at some dunes when I realize the problem, and yes it sound like something sliping, what you mean with CAD, the vacuum actuated thing on the differential?

Thanks again!!!!!!!! :help:

Yes, Central Axle Disconnect.

You have a two piese axle shaft on the pass side. Each end is splined and a splined collar rides between them. Whne the T-case is sfifted into 4WD, vacuume is sent to the diapram in the CAD and the collor bwegins to move to connect the two sides of the shaft. What I 'm suggestion is that your collar is not fully engaging the splines of the other axle. Causing the noise when the "teeth" or splines try to engage.

There are a couple options for you. Rebuild your CAD. Replace your CAD. Install washers to hold the axles engaged all the time. Install a cable lever to manually shift into 4WD.

Try the search in this forum, there are many many countlesss threads outlining all options.

CW

Yes, Central Axle Disconnect.

You have a two piese axle shaft on the pass side. Each end is splined and a splined collar rides between them. Whne the T-case is sfifted into 4WD, vacuume is sent to the diapram in the CAD and the collor bwegins to move to connect the two sides of the shaft. What I 'm suggestion is that your collar is not fully engaging the splines of the other axle. Causing the noise when the "teeth" or splines try to engage.

There are a couple options for you. Rebuild your CAD. Replace your CAD. Install washers to hold the axles engaged all the time. Install a cable lever to manually shift into 4WD.

Try the search in this forum, there are many many countlesss threads outlining all options.

CW

THANKS CW!

There is no problem if I install the washers?, I drive it on both sand and road.

Are the U-joints in the front driveshaft in good shape?

And about the axlegear ratios, what engine and transmission do you have?

I have the stock engine and transmission(automatic), the engine just with the 2001 intake maniful and no fan clutch.

There is a problem running that gears?

Unless someone changed the gears it would have 3.55, not 4.56. I think thats why pete was asking.

Putting the washers in won't affect it even if you drive it on the road. Using the washers only locks the axle together, it doesnt lock it in 4WD.

Unless someone changed the gears it would have 3.55, not 4.56. I think thats why pete was asking.

Putting the washers in won't affect it even if you drive it on the road. Using the washers only locks the axle together, it doesnt lock it in 4WD.

yes,the guy that sell me the truck told me that he had changed to 4.56 but I am not sure if he did it in front too. But about the CAD it seems to be working fine to me acording to the test that I did.

You need to find out what gears are in each axel and they need to be the same or very close in numbers. Example 411 rear and 410 front. You did not answer Pete's question about the U-joints on the front axel though?. This will make a clanking or ticking sound when under way. What does your problem sound like? Is it constant?

You need to find out what gears are in each axel and they need to be the same or very close in numbers. Example 411 rear and 410 front. You did not answer Pete's question about the U-joints on the front axel though?. This will make a clanking or ticking sound when under way. What does your problem sound like? Is it constant?

Yes, it is constant just on 4x4 an dit gets louder when I do a U turn, how I know what gear I´m running on front?

If the person that owned your MJ before you did change front and rear axle gears did they do the work properly setting up gears can be tricky.Also did they add a front limmited slip differential,or posi-track,or some type of locking differential?

Since u-turn effects the nois, I'm thinking possibly differential side gears or axle U-joints. You could put truck up on jack stands to check front axle spin a front tire by hand and see if other side spins the oposite way.

Today I put the truckon jack stands, I selected 4 HI and 4LOW and the U-joint are OK, but the sound is coming out of the transfer case, with the 4 tires on the air and the front straight it doesn´t do the sound, but when I turn the tires wathever left or right it does and if I accelerate it sound worse, what could it be now, what I need to check?????????

Check oil in transfer case (Trans oil too while your there).Is front drive shaft on fixed yoke at T-case so you could remove it and re-run test on jack stands. Also with engine off trans in neutral you could spin front axle pinion or drive shaft to check for binding turn wheels re-check.

Some T-case have a big wide (timming style) chain inside this chain could be worn and rubbing on case maybe :dunno:

Check oil in transfer case (Trans oil too while your there).Is front drive shaft on fixed yoke at T-case so you could remove it and re-run test on jack stands. Also with engine off trans in neutral you could spin front axle pinion or drive shaft to check for binding turn wheels re-check.

Some T-case have a big wide (timming style) chain inside this chain could be worn and rubbing on case maybe :dunno:

maybe it could be tha chain, because the transfer start to vibrate when I increase the speed on jack stands and the sound is worse.

what else should I check???????????????????????????

I'm looking at the book and all 5 transfer cases shown have a chain in them,not sure if thats the problem just a thought.What transmission and transfer case do you have?

I´m not sure but the trans is the original of the mj ´90 and the transfer has just 4HI and 4LOW I think is the 231.....maybe........

how I know if the problem is the chain?????????????

What size tires does it have? when you turn are they rubbing on suspension 4-link control arms? Also with engine off trans in neutral and transfer case in neutral spin front drive shaft by hand and check for sounds, I suppose you could run engine with transfer case in neutral to see if sound changes. Because turning steering effects sound, makes me think front axle pinion is harder to turn with wheels turned,that seems to hint at an axle u-joint or differential binding or stiff. :dunno: Sounds like a transfer case problem too.

What size tires does it have? when you turn are they rubbing on suspension 4-link control arms? Also with engine off trans in neutral and transfer case in neutral spin front drive shaft by hand and check for sounds, I suppose you could run engine with transfer case in neutral to see if sound changes. Because turning steering effects sound, makes me think front axle pinion is harder to turn with wheels turned,that seems to hint at an axle u-joint or differential binding or stiff. :dunno: Sounds like a transfer case problem too.

They are 31¨ and no, no rubbing, I agree is the transfer case but what could be the problem in it? how can I change or check the chain???