4X4 PROBLEM ON MJ 90

Have you tried running it without front drive shaft it looks like they all have a fixed yoke on front so you can remove front drive shaft whithout it leaking oil all over. Did it have oil in it?

yes, it has oil in it, but why it only does with the turned wheels???

I keep thinking that too? If this only happend on pavement or hard dirt I would not be so surprised ,but on jack stands with all 4 wheels in air :doh: Did you figure out if front axle gear ratio was same as rear??? you could do this by marking a spot on drive shaft and tires then spin shaft one complete turn and see how far tire marks go,then do the same for other axle and see if tires rotate the same distance.

Anyhow about the only thing I can think of to check T-case is to drain oil and check it for metal bits or flakes.You might need to find a good used T-case but you need to figure out why it went bad . Do a search of this site sombody had some posts about fixing one not too long ago. Does it drive good in 2WD?? Make sure the front drive shaft splines move freely so the shaft can slide shorter when suspension compresses if not it will beat on the t-case I had that hapen on an old F250 4x4.

I keep thinking that too? If this only happend on pavement or hard dirt I would not be so surprised ,but on jack stands with all 4 wheels in air :doh: Did you figure out if front axle gear ratio was same as rear??? you could do this by marking a spot on drive shaft and tires then spin shaft one complete turn and see how far tire marks go,then do the same for other axle and see if tires rotate the same distance.

Anyhow about the only thing I can think of to check T-case is to drain oil and check it for metal bits or flakes.You might need to find a good used T-case but you need to figure out why it went bad . Do a search of this site sombody had some posts about fixing one not too long ago. Does it drive good in 2WD?? Make sure the front drive shaft splines move freely so the shaft can slide shorter when suspension compresses if not it will beat on the t-case I had that hapen on an old F250 4x4.

YES! it drives perfect in 2WD and about the gears I the plate on each axle and it says 4.56 on front and 4.56 on rear too.

remove the front driveshaft and drive it in 4wd. see if it does it then. if it does, it's the transfercase.

if it doesn't, you need your front double cardan front driveshaft rebuilt.

I had wrote a long explanation before redramman replied, but for some reason cc.com decided it didn't want to post it :hmm:

remove the front driveshaft and drive it in 4wd. see if it does it then. if it does, it's the transfercase.

I had wrote a long explanation before redramman replied, but for some reason cc.com decided it didn't want to post it :hmm:

thanks! Redramman told me that but my question is why it only does with the wheels turned?

If I remove the driveshaft I think it is no going to make any noise like if it were with the tires straight, it does the sound just when it has a little effort aplied to the transfer I can ear the sound coming out of the transfer case and it start to vibrate( I saw that when the truck was on jack stands)

do you still think I should remove the front drive shaft????????HEEEELLLPPPPP!!!!!!!

thanks!

thanks! Redramman told me that but my question is why it only does with the wheels turned?

If I remove the driveshaft I think it is no going to make any noise like if it were with the tires straight, it does the sound just when it has a little effort aplied to the transfer I can ear the sound coming out of the transfer case and it start to vibrate( I saw that when the truck was on jack stands)

do you still think I should remove the front drive shaft????????HEEEELLLPPPPP!!!!!!!

thanks!

*sigh*

yes. remove the shaft. it does this when it turns, because while in 4wd the axleshaft disconnect is locked on. when the wheels turn, the differential does it's job and differentiates. so, one wheel (outside wheel) spins faster than the other wheel.

theoretically, this should have little to no effect on the driveshaft.

but, take out the EIGHT BOLTS holding the driveshaft in, because it is the next link into solving the case.

I still think with the turning symptoms that it is a bad gearset (i.e. the person doing it had no idea what they're doing), or bad axle ujoints. but, the next likely cause is the cardan on the front driveshaft. the last and least likely cause is transfercase failure.

Sorry Jeepcomj ,

I probably posted on top of your post :typing: :D

:agree: I also think he should try taking front drive shaft off .That might be cause of T-case vibration. U-joints are bad when the have play or loosenes but alse some times they just get stiff making them hard to turn smoothly and vibrate. Still can't make sense of noise when turning in 4wd .

I'm not saying this is exactly your problem but the T-case post I was thinking of is called "T-Case piled up". Check it out about 10 posts down it shows a picture of a loose chain.

Thanks Redramman! and thanks all you guys but for now I don't´t have time to work on the truck until weekend, I´m busy at work, but I will try taking off the front DS and see what happen, do you know what kind of oil should I use for the transfer case?

Thanks again! I am learning a lot, this weekend I am going to help a friend to fix his CAD since I learn how it works this days that I was working on mi truck.

I'm not saying this is exactly your problem but the T-case post I was thinking of is called "T-Case piled up". Check it out about 10 posts down it shows a picture of a loose chain.

Thanks Redramman! and thanks all you guys but for now I don't´t have time to work on the truck until weekend, I´m busy at work, but I will try taking off the front DS and see what happen, do you know what kind of oil should I use for the transfer case?

Thanks again! I am learning a lot, this weekend I am going to help a friend to fix his CAD since I learn how it works this days that I was working on mi truck.

ATF.

don't drive the truck until you fix the problem. that's really not optional, unless you want a hole lot of parts flying around, and breaking.

[

ATF.

don't drive the truck until you fix the problem. that's really not optional, unless you want a hole lot of parts flying around, and breaking.

What about driving on 2WD while I fix the 4x4 problem? this way it doesn´t do any noise. even if I drive it hard.

[

ATF.

What about driving on 2WD while I fix the 4x4 problem? this way it doesn´t do any noise. even if I drive it hard.

nope. because you don't know if it's internal. nothing will likely happen, but if it's internal in the case, I'd say you want to prolong the situation until you can find a new transfercase.

taking the front driveshaft off literally takes all of five minutes

• 2 weeks later...

It is finally fixed, I just changed the transfer case now it runs well :thumbsup: , next step is to check inside of the noisy transfer case that I took off to see what the f$%K happen inside :???: .

THANKS ALL YOU GUYS!!!!!!! :clapping: :clapping: