D35 VS. 8.25 (27 spline)

D35 to 8.25 27 spline..... worth it?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. D35 to 8.25 27 spline..... worth it?

• D35
    • 8.25 (27 spline)

Here is the deal I am ready to do a SOA on the rear of my MJ and it just so happens I know someone who is willing to give me a 8.25 (27 spline) axle out of an XJ with the correct gears for free. Should I bother going with the 8.25 now or just keep the D35 until I have the cash to upgrade the axle to a D44, 8.8 or Toy 8"?

Jon

I wouldn't mess with the D35. Get the 8.25, weld the perches and install it. When or if you break it upgrade it to the better 29 spline. I got a 99 8.25 in my MJ. I got tired of breaking my D35 with my 33s. Swapped in the 8.25 and have had no problems since.

Yeah this is pretty much what I had figured. I just needed someone to say go for it. :D

Any idea where to find the perches cheap?

Went to the dealer today and was told they can not get them.... I think it is BS but what do I know.

Mopar sells perches.

Therefor they can get them...

Or if you're having a shop weld them on get then to cut some square tube.

I am welding them myself. I have no square box steel right now and wanted to get this done ASAP so I was looking to find the quickest way. I will have to try thy the dealer again.

I mean what do you plan to run...

Unless you plan to run those. I think SOA would be too much lift for that. Don't ask me though, I've only lifted one of these things and I've ditched a lot of pesky sheetmetal.

Well I already have the tires as well as RE5.5 coils installed up front so the SOA is a must.

www.mountainoffroad.com . They're available a lot of places. I just cut the perches off the 8.25 and welded them back on. Cut the welds with an angle grinder and cutoff wheel, then smack them with a hammer and they come off pretty clean.

I just got done installing an 8.25 SOA in the rear of my MJ, used the 8.25 because it was lying around and the right gear ratio. It should hold up for what you want to do. I also used the 5.5" RE coils up front and I'm real happy with the finished height. The pic is on 32" TSL Radials.

DSCN0562.JPG

DSCN0563.JPG

Okay you have several option when it comes to perches.

1 make your own. Find a piece of 2x4x1/4" and 45 the ends and have the center drilled or cut to your liking... Cost just about free if you have the tools. Scrap steel in my area is .25 a LB

2. go to an after market off road store and the will well you what I just described in number 1, but you might get a sticker

3. You can go down to advance :shock: ask to see the Mr. Gasket catalog, and pick out a set of d60 spring perches for 20 bucks.

4. find a modification friendly Jeep dealer and order your parts from them, but be prepared to take it.. cause they are going to ream you.

Personally if it wasn't for the fact that I make, or fab up 90% of my parts in my garage, I would not have bothered swapping out my D35 until I broke/ bent them. I went through 2 seperate housing before I finally went and got an 8.8. Both D35 I replaced I bent the tubes, never broke a shaft.

You didnt offer my option which is to swap in an 8.8 with discs. You get more gear choices, more locker choices, and you can find them with 4.10's and LSD's which are pretty good, for a factory unit. Then when/if you decide you want more gear, you still have a LSD or you can swap in a locker. Did I mention, you can get the whole axle relitavely cheap... the Pick a prts in my area sell them complete for 130

Patrick

You didnt offer my option which is to swap in an 8.8 with discs. You get more gear choices, more locker choices, and you can find them with 4.10's and LSD's which are pretty good, for a factory unit. Then when/if you decide you want more gear, you still have a LSD or you can swap in a locker. Did I mention, you can get the whole axle relitavely cheap... the Pick a prts in my area sell them complete for 130

Patrick

Should I bother going with the 8.25 now or just keep the D35 until I have the cash to upgrade the axle to a D44, 8.8 or Toy 8"?

Jon

I plan on upgrading but for right now the 8.25 is FREE. :-D

For the time being I just want to level out the truck. Next year I will start bulletproofing it.