Rough idle

My truck has a consistent miss at idle and it seems to be getting worse. It used to have just a consistent miss but now it also has a pulsing stuttering that shakes the truck. When it's missing at idle, if I quickly give her gas she will stumble and then rev up. If I slowly give her gas it revs normally and anything off idle seems pretty good.

I put in new Autolite 3294 plugs and it didn't help, if anything made it worse. Cleaned the cap and rotor as best as i could, they don't seem too bad at all and according to a receipt i found the previous owner had new ones put in 12,000 miles ago. The one thing that really helped was right after I finished seafoaming, it ran perfect, revved cleanly and had more power than usual. But like a minute later it was back to the usual.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am an automotive newbie especially when it comes to buying parts.

Check the hose going from your MAP sensor on the firewall to the vacuum hose rail. The line going from it could be cracked enough to be giving it false readings.......possibly the idle air control hole in the carb is plugged up and sticky.........

Check the hose going from your MAP sensor on the firewall to the vacuum hose rail. The line going from it could be cracked enough to be giving it false readings.......possibly the idle air control hole in the carb is plugged up and sticky.........

I just checked that vacuum hose a it seems good, no cracks or anything. I had already cleaned the IAC as best as I could but it is if you look down the the throttle body, it is a little black and gooey in there.

I seemed to have cured the major pulsing stuttering, one of the plug wires came loose. I probably didn't get it on there tight enough when I changed the plugs. But the idle is still not where it should be.

well, sorry to say, she's probably on her way to a long slow death. what a shame considering what good shape the rest of her is. well, i guess i'd be willing to take her off your hands, too much trouble to fix and all. :D

:rotf: :thwak:

It may be time for some new injectors. We have a deal set up with this guy for a discount on them... http://precisionautoinjectors.com/produ ... roductId=7

That link will take you to the correct injectors for you. They are remanufactured Ford Motorsport injectors that work great in our trucks. We get 10% off if you use ' JEEP ' as the discount code at checkout :cheers:

It may be time for some new injectors. We have a deal set up with this guy for a discount on them... http://precisionautoinjectors.com/produ ... roductId=7

That link will take you to the correct injectors for you. They are remanufactured Ford Motorsport injectors that work great in our trucks. We get 10% off if you use ' JEEP ' as the discount code at checkout :cheers:

Those injectors are a good deal, but if you look at his listing on ebay you can get them even cheaper even with the 10% off.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0298643201

Do you think that will solve the problem? This truck is in very very good condition and was wondering if injectors are one of the first things to go out? She has about 125,000 on her. I'm just trying to be sure I'm not spending money where it isn't the most beneficial.

Those injectors are a good deal, but if you look at his listing on ebay you can get them even cheaper even with the 10% off.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0298643201

Do you think that will solve the problem? This truck is in very very good condition and was wondering if injectors are one of the first things to go out? She has about 125,000 on her. I'm just trying to be sure I'm not spending money where it isn't the most beneficial.

That's interesting...he doesn't usually sell them that cheap on eBay, but your right...it comes out to be about $5 less on eBay.

There is no way for me to tell you for sure it they will solve your problem, but with 125K on it, they sure can't hurt.

You might try unplugging the injectors one by one while it is idling and see if there are any that don't really make a difference when unplugged :idea:

They have a little wire retainer around them that can be a bit of a pain sometimes. It is easier if you have a tiny screw driver or better yet, one of those curved sharp picks like is used for removing o-rings etc...

You will not get shocked when remiving them with the truck running, but you will want to get the retainers off first then start it up so it will be easy to unplug and then plug them right back in. I got tired of the retainers and just left them off of mine the last time I did it.

OH...BTW... there is never a dumb question around here. Don't be affraid to ask as it's better than learning the hard way :yes:

I just checked that vacuum hose a it seems good, no cracks or anything. I had already cleaned the IAC as best as I could but it is if you look down the the throttle body, it is a little black and gooey in there.

If its black and gooey in the throttle body and you get stumbling when you hit the gas, pull the throttle body off and give it a good cleaning down the throat including the butterfly. I've been down this road and that is what I did to correct this problem.

Mike

Ok, I tested each injector and they all seem to be working, I'm not sure if one had less of an effect than the others I might retest them. But, the truck seems to be idling better today for reasons unknown. Maybe it's the fuel injector cleaner doing it's job.

I will get some throttle body cleaner and give that a try.

I had forgetton about this stuff, but if you go to a dealership and ask for a can of Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner, it works wonders at cleaning the upper end of the engine and removing carbon.

If you want to try this...once you have the cleaner, take the truck for a short drive to get it up to normal temp. Park it, shut it off, remove the intake tube from the top of the throttle body then start the truck and set the idle at about 1200 - 1500 RPM...I used a zip tie to hold it for me as this can take a few minutes.

Once you have the idle set, spray the complete can of cleaner in to the throttle body. the engine will slow and may try to stall, but don't let it stall. You can hesitate on spraying or rev it up just a little, but you do not want high or fluctuating RPMs for this process. You may have excessive smoke come out the tail pipe so do it in a well ventilated area. Once the can of cleaner has been emptied, you should allow the engine to run for at least 5 more minutes at idle then replace the intake tube and take it for a 5-6 mile ride. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...