4wd Problem

For the past week when I go to park my truck for the day, it feels like the 4wd is not fully coming out. I tried to shift the transmission from neutral to drive, and when i turn the wheels squeel and the wheel is a little jerky. So is there something that i am missing that i need to do special to get it fully out of 4wd or is it just a common problem with the MJ.

For the past week when I go to park my truck for the day, it feels like the 4wd is not fully coming out. I tried to shift the transmission from neutral to drive, and when i turn the wheels squeel and the wheel is a little jerky. So is there something that i am missing that i need to do special to get it fully out of 4wd or is it just a common problem with the MJ.

On my Ram 4x4 the truck needs to be rolling at least 5-10' with wheels pointing strait.you could shift to 2wd just before stoping and then it should disengage axle when you back up the next day. Because turning in 4wd causes some binding its hard for axle to disengage while turning,or accelerating.

On my Ram 4x4 the truck needs to be rolling at least 5-10' with wheels pointing strait.you could shift to 2wd just before stoping and then it should disengage axle when you back up the next day. Because turning in 4wd causes some binding its hard for axle to disengage while turning,or accelerating.

I want a driveway like that. :D

But anyway, if I remember right, it sometimes takes a bit of backing up to get the truck to fully shift out of 4wd.

I've never heard of that. It doesn't make sense. Doesn't the T-case engage the front D.S. similar to engaging gears in a manual transmission? I haven't had one apart, but from googling it, the system looks identical.

I would think there's a problem with the linkages/T-case itself. Maybe the spring to push the fork back is worn out?

I want a driveway like that. :D

But anyway, if I remember right, it sometimes takes a bit of backing up to get the truck to fully shift out of 4wd.

I've never heard of that. It doesn't make sense. Doesn't the T-case engage the front D.S. similar to engaging gears in a manual transmission? I haven't had one apart, but from googling it, the system looks identical.

This doesn't apply to our vehicles. It was necessary on some vehicles with manual or automatic hubs to back up for the hubs to disengage. Since our hubs are always engaged, there is no need to reverse.

Do you have a front locker? If so, and the CAD is not disengaging, I could see how that would cause some binding when turning.

If you don't have a front locker than I would guess that the transfer case is not fully disengaging.

Willy

Sounds like the tcase needs an oil change. My driveway is 2 miles long and qualifies as a class 2 trail in winter (I even managed to roll my '73 J4000 when I had to swerve to miss a horse in the middle of the road. This was at 11PM at night on a downhill switchback above Sunset falls on the Skykomish river in Wa. Just across the river from Reiter Trails )