EGR Solenoid is wired through tail light ground?? WTF???

So I need back-up lights right, well broke 2 screws removing the tail light, then a clip, so :wall: anywhoser's I put the bulb in the back-up socket,, nothing.... Well put a test light on it found a small current, when touching ground pigtail. Odd thing was a heard a click-click,click when I would rub the ground pigtail on any metal.. So tracked it down to the EGR Solenoid. Every time I would rub the ground the solenoid would click back and forth...

Now

Am I crazy or does that seem odd????

A few notes all my dash backlights quit working not long ago, The quartz clock turns off when headlight switch is pulled,,, turn the headlight switch all the way and all the dome lights work no problem....

I didnt have a chance to put the meter on anything, but thats my next step....

So any insight to why the egr solenoid is going crazy when tail light ground is connected?????

All yeah I do have power at the back-up switch harness, Jumped the switch connector but still no lights.... don't know 100% how much power is going through the switches harness though...

Another thing that made me think I was going crazy was under the hood I can hear a buzzing,,, kinda like what a transformer would be doing but at a real low frequency.. I had Steph listen for that one to confirm and a big relief when she said what that buzz?? :thumbsup:

The easy part is going to be to check your ground wire that connects to the firewall and then check the ground wire for the battery for rust or corrosion. Put a tester light to all fuses in the fuse box and PDC just to be sure. It sounds like you may have more than one problem so I would start by disconnecting the rear electrical pigtail harness just to isolate the problem with your quartz clock. With the rear wiring harness out of the picture if you do not have an issue with your quartz clock the problem is in your rear harness. If you still have an issue with your clock when your turn the headlights on you then move to the crappy part is when the ground cables and bolts check out good, I would immediately move to non factory installed accessories (auxiliary lights that connect ot the front harness ETC) and remove the power source to them one at a time testing your quartz clock with the headlights on. I know this process is tenuous, but often times I have found that a multi-meter doesn't tell me a whole bunch when there is more than one problem. Does this make any sense?

I had a terrible time when I recently installed factory fogs into the factory pigtails (the PO installed after market foglights and gummed up the factory wiring) Don (hornbrod) was a great help in figuring that one out. I know the PDC is different in the pre HO era MJ's so perhaps someone else will chime in. Good luck and have patience you will figure this out!

Just a quick question.. Whats a PDC? Power Distribution Circuit?

Another quick one, Where is the rear harness disconnect?

Thanks,, I'm thinking one of my dash bulbs might have shorted out making it all haywire.. This isn't the first time I've had trouble out of the light circuit......

It is Power Distribution Center...otherwise known as the fuse box ;)

That's about all I am good for though as electrical stuff is just way beyond me... :cry:

Correct, it's located on the right fender well inside the engine compartment on 1991 and up XJs and MJs. It's loaded with the higher amperage fuses not inside the drivers side cab fusebox, and also contains several relays. It's fed directly from the alternator output.

So what y'all think about the high freq buzzing sound I hear???

I'd try pulling the chime module if it's still there JT for starters mate.

Little blue box... already have. this buzzing sound is coming from the engine compartment. Its hard to get a handle on it because its so faint, but definitely there... sounds just like a high voltage transformer humming just not as loud. I see if Steph will lend me her stethoscope to try and locate it tomorrow.

That's just the voices you hear in your head.

:teehee:

Yea, I know........I'm alot of help :(

The rear light harness connector is just inside the rear bumper, on the left side, BUT......that's also the ground for the rear lights, and the fuel pump/sender (the body ground that's behind the left tail light)

I don't know if you have one of these.......so, here's one ;)

From what your writing.......about the buzzing sound, you could have a bad relay that's stuck, that would cause a sound like you hear.

If you know.......the EGR solenoid is mounted on the drivers side fender, just after the fuel pump Ballast resistor.

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Eng ... lenoid.jpg

I'm thinking you have a bad body ground, could even be the ground strap that's from the 'fire wall' to the engine, thinking that the EGR solenoid is grounded to the body, and the rear tail light/fuel pump is grounded thru the body.

Also.......your backup lights........could be just the fuse, if you don't have This one......check it out.

And.......for the Grounds

Just paste that over, and noted that the firewall ground strap, is also the "Dash panel" ground.........So, a good place to start :brows:

And.....you get a chance.......call me latter today :D

That's just the voices you hear in your head.

I was thinking that at first...

The rear light harness connector is just inside the rear bumper, on the left side, BUT......that's also the ground for the rear lights, and the fuel pump/sender (the body ground that's behind the left tail light)

OK, well I have fuel pressure so I can rule out it being a bad ground at the rear for the back-up lights

From what your writing.......about the buzzing sound, you could have a bad relay that's stuck, that would cause a sound like you hear.

Thats good news I was thinking it was something along those lines, but never dealt with it before.

I'm thinking you have a bad body ground, could even be the ground strap that's from the 'fire wall' to the engine, thinking that the EGR solenoid is grounded to the body, and the rear tail light/fuel pump is grounded thru the body.

I will check that.. I hope it will be just a simple ground.

Also.......your backup lights........could be just the fuse,

I was thinking the same thing, but the flashers are working, but I did find a unconnected wire behind the fuse box when I was messing around, I'll send some power to it and see if it turns the back-up lights on,,,, I have power to the back-up switch though.. I saw a rigged trailer harness I bet its part of the reason..

Just paste that over, and noted that the firewall ground strap, is also the "Dash panel" ground.........So, a good place to start :brows:

Yeah like I said I hope its something that simple..

And.....you get a chance.......call me latter today :D

Ok. And thanks for the tips. Gives me a better stance on whats going on.

Just a quick question.. Whats a PDC? Power Distribution Circuit?

Another quick one, Where is the rear harness disconnect?

Thanks,, I'm thinking one of my dash bulbs might have shorted out making it all haywire.. This isn't the first time I've had trouble out of the light circuit......

On my Jeep the brake light, blinker and trailer harness comes to a junction connector in the drivers side of the rear bumper.

Kinda of an update.. Found the buzzing to be the alternator..

Still nowhere on the back-up lights or dash lights....

Got the firewall ground cleaned and put together.

Found the back harness connector, looked clean and still no power from the back-up wire.

Going to try a few more things tomorrow... :mad: