Another speedometer cable question?

There should just be a single bolt with a little metal tab that holds the end of the cable into the t-case. Once you remove the bolt and tab just wiggle it and it should pop right out. At least thats how it was on my 86, could be different on the newer models.

There should just be a single bolt with a little metal tab that holds the end of the cable into the t-case. Once you remove the bolt and tab just wiggle it and it should pop right out. At least thats how it was on my 86, could be different on the newer models.

BEFORE you remove it, clean the area well and take careful note of how it is oriented. The "quill" rotates to adjust for the number of teeth on the speedo drive gear, and if you don't put it back in the same orientation, either the speedo won't work or you'll wear out the plastic gear very quickly.

The "quill" is the housing at the transfer case end that the plastic speedo gear fits into. No, the gears are the same for all years of the MJ, but the tooth count changes depending on the tire size and gear ratio.

As far as I know, all years used a rounded 'Y' shaped yoke to hold the quill into the transfer case.

I will try to get a picture of mine as it is much different than the ones that you are speaking of. Mine does not seem to be adjustable like the newer ones are.

What transfer case do you have? I'm looking in the 1986 MJ FSM, and it's showing the "rounded fork" retainer just like the one in my 1988 XJ and my 2000 XJ.

Wow!

Never saw anything like THAT before. The '86 MJ I have is a 2WD, which may be different. I'll have to see what other early 4WD XJs or MJs I can find to crawl under.

There is nothing like that even mentioned in the FSM. Thank God for AMC (All Makes Combined). Every day brings more surprises.