Awesome. Pure awesome.

DirtyComanche

So, I had this D44 lying around. It used to be in the front of my MJ. I had no plans to use it again, so I figured I'd sell it.

Couldn't find a buyer for the whole thing, but a guy wanted the gears and spool out of it. He offered me enough that I didn't care if I threw the housing in the scrap bin.

So, popped the cover to pull the gears out.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Yup. Great.

Not really, actually. There's a bit of $#!&, but that's normal with gears when they get broken in. All that you see there is dirt, it got in after I pulled the cover. Those teeth have been wiped with a rag, and only have a light trace of oil on them still... But that's the issue. The teeth are brinnelled. It's dun'. They should be shiney, almost polished, in appearance. The other side of them is correct...

There's also a heat mark on them, uniformly on every tooth. I'm really not sure about that.

I want to know what caused this though. I'd say way too little backlash (lack of lube). But I think backlash being too tight would cause the same thing on the other side. The other side is peachy though. I'm kinda preplexed.

Definitlely a bad install as the wear pattern is way off on the side visible in those pics. It appears to me (but I am NOT a gear expert) that the pinion depth was not set correctly causing it to ride too shallow.

Definitlely a bad install as the wear pattern is way off on the side visible in those pics. It appears to me (but I am NOT a gear expert) that the pinion depth was not set correctly causing it to ride too shallow.

I concur.

I think pinion depth was not set right...at all.