Question on rear axle upgrade

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do I need different leafs for this axle for a SOA?

Lastly, what is all this talk about splines. Will I also need one of these too?

For going SOA, guys will generally re-use their current leafs. All depends on the condition of the leafs and what your overall plans are for the truck.

"Splines" (in this case) refers to the number of little ridges that the axle shaft has that fit into the spider gears inside the axle. As a general rule of thumb, the greater the number of splines, the stronger the shaft is (the exact specifics as to why are complicated). All your splein counts match up because you're buying a complete axle. don't' worry about it for now. Later on, if you wanted to get an overall stronger axle, you could get some 29 spline shafts and spider gears from a different junkyard 8.25 and swap them into your new axle.

Hey Mitch, the shop that's selling it is located in Providence, RI so I can pick it up myself.

I understand that this 8.25 is not as strong as the 8.8 or Dana 44 but I don't plan on using the truck for any serious off-roading but want the added "pep" of 4.10 gears.

Get this, I know I need to get a Dana 30 front axle with matching gears, so I emailed the seller and asked if he had one. This is what he wrote back:

"I do have a Dana 30, and I have been saving it because it fits TJ Wranglers also. We usually get about $650 for it, it's a very desirable axle. So if you'd like to make an offer, I'll consider, but otherwise I'm holding it out for a TJ job."

Pete, thanks for the info on splines. I just wasn't sure if this is something I needed to address now.

I guess my leafs are ok. They are 20 years old and somewhat rusty. The shakles are intact and there are no strange noises.

Is there anything obvious I should look for that would indicate trouble?

"I do have a Dana 30, and I have been saving it because it fits TJ Wranglers also. We usually get about $650 for it, it's a very desirable axle. So if you'd like to make an offer, I'll consider, but otherwise I'm holding it out for a TJ job."

:teehee:

IF it came complete with good brakes and the bigger U-joints, I might give $250.

For $650 you can easily afford to build up the axle you already have. :roll:

As to the leafs. they should be fine as long as they aren't broken, and sometimes that can only be learned after you remove them and replace the center bolt.

How are you lifting the front?

I'm sure this guy is trying to recoup some of the money he 'lost' on the rear axle, but $650-he's out of his mind!

Pete, I'm interested in better gears for more 'pep' and a modest 1-2" lift for a more 'aggressive' appearance. I was thinking spacers for the front and new shackles for the leafs.

Pete,

Unless your doing the re-gear yourself, you a bit out of touch with re-gearing costs at least here on the east coast... I have to tell you, the laugh is getting gears done for $250-300.

IF its true, the line forms BEHIND ME. As think I just found my next new business venture, broker for re-gearing axles!!! :brows:

The gears alone are a couple hundred, then a rebuild kit (bearings and seals) is another buck to buck and a half. Now your up to $400 - 450 and you haven't even TOUCHED the axle to put them in yet. Most shops get 75 - 90 per hour and even in a perfect world its a two hour job. Thats another $150 - 180. (Your not going to find ANYONE who would actually do it for that.) That brings the re-gearing costs up to a total of $550 - 630. Whoa now.. that $650 the guy is asking doesn't seem such a far fetched now does it?

BTW, I also have a 4:10 geared, locked, Hi-pinion D30 for sale. PM me for more details, I'm in Connecticut. Only a couple hour drive from Boston.

Ooh, BTW something else to chew on. Just throw in the new axle SUA (Same as factory) and save until you have the funds to do it up correctly. The 29spl swap is easy and you may even want some kind of a traction aide by then. Its only perches (Leave whats there, there for now) for the leafs and shock mounts, (I can show you how to make a set for cheap.) neither one is any kind of problem at all. As I said, its NO BIGGIE to swap over to 29 splines. Then there ain't only slight strength diff between it a an 8.8 or D44.

CW

Guys, this story gets better & better. I emailed the seller back exactly what Pete suggested-if it has good brakes & larger u-joints, I'll take it for $250 and he writes back to say:

"OK, that will do! I've been holding onto it for awhile, so that works. And yes, brakes are good and it's got the larger ujoints"

Pete, I owe you a cold one!

Will this Dana 30 axle & brakes from a TJ Wrangler be a direct replacement? Do I need to use my brakes & rotors?

Lastly, other than a stamp or tag is their an easy way to determine that this axle has 4.10 gears?

You said he said it was for a TJ, but you'll need to find out what it's out of to know what brakes it needs.

And yeah, $300 is on the low end for getting gears done. But I've seen guys that say they've gotten it done for even less. Usually 300 is enough to scare guys out of regearing the axles they've got. I guess I should quote a higher price in the future? :D

And I still wouldn't pay 650 for a used Dana 30. The last one I bought I paid $100. :popcorn:

Pete, when you say find out what kind of TJ, do you mean model? I know the Rubicon has a Dana 44 in the front, but I thought all other models had the Dana 30.

I think he means YEAR as the TJ is a TJ as far as that goes.

BTW, $250 is good for a stock HI-Pinion D30.

You mentioned he WANTED it FOR a TJ project before. Now your saying its OUT OF a TJ. Which is correct?

It makes a difference as the TJ never came with a HI-Pinion D30 and the MJ ALWAYS did. Doesn't matter as far as fitment, both will fit either NO ISSUES. Hi Pinion is better for a couple reasons. (Stronger, better angles for a lifted vehicle.)

He wrote:

I do have a Dana 30, and I have been saving it because it fits TJ Wranglers also. We usually get about $650 for it, it's a very desirable axle. So if you'd like to make an offer, I'll consider, but otherwise I'm holding it out for a TJ job.

Guys, the front axle came from the same '94 Cherokee and here are its specs:

Dana 30 High pinion - reverse cut - 27 spline, 1.16" diameter shafts, 7.13" ring gear & 5-260x u-joints- this axle is vacum non-disconnect.

Will this be a direct replacement for my stock Dana 30?

Guys, the front axle came from the same '94 Cherokee and here are its specs:

Dana 30 High pinion - reverse cut - 27 spline, 1.16" diameter shafts, 7.13" ring gear & 5-260x u-joints- this axle is vacuum non-disconnect.

Will this be a direct replacement for my stock Dana 30?

YES,

You didn't mention the year as the rotors, knuckles and calipers could be different. But worse case, you just use the ones you have now and go.

Other than that its identical basically to the axle in the MJ only with out the CAD and two piece axle.(Non-Disco = one piece shafts)

It does have the smaller and slightly weaker 260 joints. But don't fret about that, its what you have now. Have you broken those??

CW

Hey CW, thanks for the info. The donor vehicle is a 1994 Cherokee.

The brake pads on my front axle are fairly new and the rotors and calipers are good. Can I just add the MJ's brakes to the '94's hubs & axle shafts?

The brake pads on my front axle are fairly new and the rotors and calipers are good. Can I just add the MJ's brakes to the '94's hubs & axle shafts?

No.

There are significant differences in hubs, knuckles, rotors and calipers from one "generation" to the next. I've posted the specifics a number of times. I'm sure a search will bring up one of those posts.