Question on rear axle upgrade

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 97+ have 29 spline axleshafts and are stronger. But the 8.35 in the earlier 27 spline count version is still a bit better than the Dana 35. If this gets you a better gear ratio, I'd do it and then score the junkyards for a disk brake swap. :D

Personally, I wouldn't pay more than 100, maybe 150 for one in good shape. For disks, I believe it's the Grand Cherokee that is the best fit? Someone correct me on that if I'm wrong.

yup, ZJs or WJs.

and ya.......$100 tops IMO.

if it were a 29 spline or had a LSD then maybe more, but I can find 27 spliners for $150 all day long, so theres nothing really special about it.

Pete, the pads are new and the rotors are good.

I ask because there are some changes in the brakes in the axles over the year. But even so, I still recommend a junkyard front axle. Regearing on one axle can cost $250-300 or more to accomplish.

:hmm:

Roush%20rear%20slotted%20brake%20rotor%20kit.jpg

The hardware such as the calipers and backing plate are the some, the rotors, obviously, have a different bolt pattern - but you take what you can get when you can.

ZJ or WJ?

ZJ

WJ used a different bolt circle, so you'd have mismatched wheels.

Libertine also used a 5 on 4-1/2" bolt pattern, I think. Did they offer rear disks?

I wasn't talking about grabbing the whole rear end, only the expensive to find brake hardware, and buying new rear rotors.

There are rear disks on my Dad's 06 Libby. It's a Limited though, so I can't say they are all disks.

The disk rears are not limited to the limiteds. All KJs over 03(i think its 03) had the rear disks.

i had the oppourtunity a while back to pull the rear brakes off of an 06, I sure wish I had done it then, they would have been perfect for my 01 8.25.

The hardware such as the calipers and backing plate are the some, the rotors, obviously, have a different bolt pattern - but you take what you can get when you can.

Ahh, that makes more sense. :D I think I need a nap.

Ya, I thought it was obvious what I meant, course, to the person who thinks its obvious it always is - I can see how its confusing though.

You can't count on mixing calipers from one application with rotors from another application. Heck, you can't mix parts from different years of XJ/MJ front axles, and you want to start mixing from different vehicles? Not gonna happen.

You can't count on mixing calipers from one application with rotors from another application. Heck, you can't mix parts from different years of XJ/MJ front axles, and you want to start mixing from different vehicles? Not gonna happen.

I seem to remember you could in this case. But I might be wrong.

I plan on heading out to my local JY this weekend...so should I be looking for ZJ rotors & calipers? I've never seen a Liberty in a JY.

I'm aware that I also need to bring the axle somewhere to have the perches welded on.

Do I need different leafs for this axle for a SOA? If so, is Motion Offroad a good source for new leafs?

Lastly, what is all this talk about splines. Will I also need one of these too?