2001 WJ Intake Manifold and Unichip On

Got the manifold mounted and the Unichip wired in and was dynoed at Hesco today; amazing results. The dyno peak HP vs. torque BEFORE readings last year were 207.5 HP @ 3950 RPM, torque was 243.0 at this RPM. Peak torque was 280 @ 3600 RPM. The AFTER reading, manifold only, was 219.5 HP @ 3916 RPM, torque at 294.9. The AFTER reading w. manifold and Unichip, was 261.1 HP @ 4400 RPM, with torque at 312.8. Peak torque was 345 @ 3500 RPM. All reading were at the rear rear wheel of course. :D

That's a HP increase of 53.6 (although at a higher RPM) and a torque increase of 65 ft. lbs. at about the same 3500 RPM, even w. the power robbing AW-4. Just the new intake w/o the chip gave impressive gains.

Solid 15 around town, 18-20 highway depending how much of a hurry I'm in. :D Mileage after these mods is TBD, although most guys doing similar have reported improved mileage on the stroker forums because of the more efficient intake manifold.

The olde butt dyno is sometimes pretty accurate, but I like to see the numbers, and a dyno run is the only way to prove the before and after of whatever you do. Costs about $70 for an hour's work, so it's worth it. But seeing Lee Hurley at Hesco screaming the engine at 4500+ RPM always scares the crap out of me. I NEVER run that high; errr, well maybe a few times blowing off the slimey ricers. :cheers:

Solid 15 around town, 18-20 highway depending how much of a hurry I'm in. :D Mileage after these mods is TBD, although most guys doing similar have reported improved mileage on the stroker forums because of the more efficient intake manifold.

The olde butt dyno is sometimes pretty accurate, but I like to see the numbers, and a dyno run is the only way to prove the before and after of whatever you do. Costs about $70 for an hour's work, so it's worth it. But seeing Lee Hurley at Hesco screaming the engine at 4500+ RPM always scares the crap out of me. I NEVER run that high; errr, well maybe a few times blowing off the slimey ricers. :cheers:

Don,

Incredible results! Did you use GoJeeps install instructions when you installed the manifold? I am looking for a reasonable writeup to install mine. I have a 2000 cherokee manifold machined so I can reuse the 91 power steering pump, but I am worried about the placing of hoses and such. I would pay money to see the looks on folks faces when you stomp them down the road. :cheers:

Hornbrod, could you go into your setup a little more besides what's listed in your sig? If i remember correctly from a post on jeepstrokers, you have mike leach headers, and your muffler is 2.5 and dual 2.5 out. Obviously you have a K&N fipk, is there a bored throttle body under there? Also, did you have to change your stock engine harness or ecu for the stroker or unichip?

Thanks in advance.

Hornbrod, could you go into your setup a little more besides what's listed in your sig? If i remember correctly from a post on jeepstrokers, you have mike leach headers, and your muffler is 2.5 and dual 2.5 out. Obviously you have a K&N fipk, is there a bored throttle body under there? Also, did you have to change your stock engine harness or ecu for the stroker or unichip? Thanks in advance.

You are correct on the exhaust system and K&N FIPK. I also am running a larger 10" inverted cone intake filter I squeezed in there that sucks air from both the outside and inside and I think flows better. Stock 91 harness and ECU. Accel coil, 62mm bored throttle body, Mopar Performance wires and dist. cap. Stroker is a 4.5L Hesco crate engine, .030 overbore (so I can go .030 more later if I have to), Hesco adj. fuel pressure regulator @ 46#, 53030591 Mopar 23.2 lb. injectors, and a Hesco RV-O-B cam. I think that's all....... :D

Hesco says my engine puts out equal or better numbers than most of the 4.6L-4.7L strokers they dyno. Wish it was a 5-speed though.........

impressive setup, thanks for the info. While i've been trying to figure out which way to go with the stroker, i've been assembling the pieces to go around it. Having a dynoed setup to reference is a big help.

i saw on your thread over at jeepstrokers that you've had your MJ dynoed a few times over the years. Besides possibly the baseline run, have you even made one with a header other than the mike leach? They seem to be impossible to come by, so i'm looking for second best at this point.

Nice work Don.....if you ever decide to swap a 5 speed in lemme know. There are some very specific parts underneath that are unique to just the AX15 I can tell you about. I'm finding out the hard way :D

I'm sure the same parts would be specific to an NV3550 as well.

Jeff

i saw on your thread over at jeepstrokers that you've had your MJ dynoed a few times over the years. Besides possibly the baseline run, have you even made one with a header other than the mike leach? They seem to be impossible to come by, so i'm looking for second best at this point.

Even before I put the stroker in I had the Mike Leach header on my old stocker engine, so it has always been present on all the dyno runs, and I have no data w. other headers. I was lucky enough to get this header when it was affordable five years ago. :D

Nice work Don.....if you ever decide to swap a 5 speed in lemme know. There are some very specific parts underneath that are unique to just the AX15 I can tell you about. I'm finding out the hard way :D I'm sure the same parts would be specific to an NV3550 as well.

Jeff

Will do Jeff. Will also like to do the 4WD swap. Got the engine and suspension about the way I want now and it's time to move on. I'd like to get a crap load of the parts together, haul it to VA in your garage, supply all the brew and crabs and knock it out in a few days. Oh, and visit my Sis too. Could use a vacation mate. :cheers:

Nice work Don.....if you ever decide to swap a 5 speed in lemme know. There are some very specific parts underneath that are unique to just the AX15 I can tell you about. I'm finding out the hard way :D I'm sure the same parts would be specific to an NV3550 as well.

Jeff

Will do Jeff. Will also like to do the 4WD swap. Got the engine and suspension about the way I want now and it's time to move on. I'd like to get a crap load of the parts together, haul it to VA in your garage, supply all the brew and crabs and knock it out in a few days. Oh, and visit my Sis too. Could use a vacation mate. :cheers:

I'd be there in a heartbeat if you make that trip.