Where can I get an AX-5?

I have not been on here for a while since my comanche "died", but alas my comanche may live again!!

I have just about convinced my boss to buy my comanche from me for a work vehicle. He's gonna pay me for it, and pay for the repairs (new tranny) and I'll probably still get to drive it. Not a bad deal if I do say so myself.

So my question is, where can I find a good deal on a transmission, either rebuilt or new?

I believe I have the NP231, is that 23 spline or 21?

I have not been on here for a while since my comanche "died", but alas my comanche may live again!!

I have just about convinced my boss to buy my comanche from me for a work vehicle. He's gonna pay me for it, and pay for the repairs (new tranny) and I'll probably still get to drive it. Not a bad deal if I do say so myself.

So my question is, where can I find a good deal on a transmission, either rebuilt or new?

I believe I have the NP231, is that 23 spline or 21?

As a work truck It would need a lift and bigger tires too..........tell your boss that.......... :brows:

If you've got the 2.5, then you have an AX-5 and a 21 spline output shaft and an np-231 t-case. car-part.com may be of help in locating a junkyard transmission.

nope. np207 t-case, if it's selec-trac it's a np228 or np229. the np231 t-case was introduced on cherokees later on, either at the very end of the comanche run or directly afterward.

At some point in the near future I will have my AX-5 for sale......

but its 2wd, not sure if you can unbolt the 2wd tail housing and bolt on the transfer case....

anyone?

sorry. the output shaft is around 7" longer than the 4wd driveshaft. there are no jeep cherokee/comanche trannies that you can simply swap out output housings on to make into 4wd. they either require a tear-down and swap of necessary parts, or replace the tranny altogether.

subsequently though, your gears and synchros are the same as his, and so he could use your parts to rebuild his transmission

Thats too much work. Just going for quick and easy here. Anyone else know of a good place to get one. Bosses money, might as well do it right.

depending on the time frame, I can build you a fresh one. would have to figure out price on a rebuild kit for it, time involved, and tranny to be rebuilt. I've got two trannies apart right now and could build a great one without a rebuild kit and only a few bearings atm, but i'm sure since it's your bosses money and i'd have the case completely apart anyways, he'd want a fresh rebuilt transmission.

i wouldn't be able to have it ready until mid october, if not towards the end of october...currently my only day off is saturday, which is all screwed up from working 3rd shift anyways.

:cheers:

If you've got the 2.5, then you have an AX-5 and a 21 spline output shaft and an np-231 t-case. car-part.com may be of help in locating a junkyard transmission.

nope. np207 t-case, if it's selec-trac it's a np228 or np229. the np231 t-case was introduced on cherokees later on, either at the very end of the comanche run or directly afterward.

The NP231 was introduced during the 1987 model year. And the OP's signature line specifically says he has a 231. Even if he's replacing a 207, a 21-spline 231 is a bolt-in conversion.

The NP231 was introduced during the 1987 model year. And the OP's signature line specifically says he has a 231. Even if he's replacing a 207, a 21-spline 231 is a bolt-in conversion.

yes, it was introduced in that year, but not in a vehicle equipped with an ax-5. I've not once seen an np231 on any ax-5 equipped MJ/XJ's that have come here and been stripped, built, or sold off...that's oh, 15 so far, 3 of which had AX5's, one of which had an AX4, and of those 5, there was only one 2wd, and only one AX5-equipped cherokee (1994) had an np231. it also had larger bearings in the tranny.

regardless, he doesn't need a transfercase to replace the transmission...what's there is what he needs to use.

oh, i should note that the output housing can have two different output seal depths...one is to accomodate for a short t-case input shaft (it works with long and short 21 spline inputs), one is for LONG input shaft ONLY.

While I cannot explain what you've seen Jeepco, the Jeep parts manual, 87 dealership brochure, and searching on car-part.com all agree that all 87 MJs came with the new np-231 t-case. 86 and earlier had the 207. But I'm sure there were probably a few stragglers in 87 where they used up some leftover 207s.

To the best of my knowledge, my NP 231 is the original transfer case, however the previous owner supposedly rebuilt it.

I just wanted to verify the spline count for the output shaft.

JeepcoMJ: (I forget how to quote somebody)

How do you know if you have a long or short output seal depth?