4 door mj

wahoo, you're probably right.

orca, I basically don't want someone to get halfway through cutting up the cherokee and comanche to realize that you need to cut the MJ's frame rails up where the control arms mount, and the xj's frame rails where right behind the driver's seat. then the roof should be cut right behind the rear doors on the xj, and right in front of the door jamb on the MJ, and everything should be plated and sleeved on the frame rails when it's put together.

...i've definitely considered this project, and have bailed on it several times because i don't have the time to commit to it just yet.

sorry if i seemed too serious. just want to pass along accurate info and save someone a headache.

Well I hate to tell you but it's not even that simple. First the frame rails are completely different between the two from the back of the cab to the bed. The roof lines are completely different between the two. The floor pans and transmission hump are completely different.

There is only one way to make this happen and that's with new custom frame rails to conjoin the Xj chassis to the Mj rear bed section. Next it would be much easier to use almost all of the Xj. If I were to do this I would cut the Xj from just under the roof to floor just behind the rear seat. You will have to leave a good section of roof remaining to replace the Mj roof since they do not match. Next cut the Mj right down the middle of the cab. This is where it starts to get tricky. The Mj doors would have to be cut in half as well as the Xj's rear door. The two would have to be joined to make the Xj rear door squared off to match the rear of the Mj cab and door frame. Next is dealing with joining the Mj and Xj. This will not be fun either. The Mj and Xj match below the gutter line till you hit the floor pans. The tranny tunnel has to be massaged to match the Xj's which isn't that hard. The roof of the Mj has to be removed and played with to make it fit the Xj's roof line then put back on. The joining of the frame rails wouldn't be to hard after all that.

Ask me how I know

pa270881st7.jpg

pa210825du9.jpg

pa270879cb6.jpg

Not exactly a 4 door but from dealing with it I kind of have a clue.

pa240867pc2.jpg

pa240865vs7.jpg

Have fun and do plenty of measuring and research before ever cutting a single panel.

badger, not to get into a pissing contest, but the frames are the same width up to the middle of where the seats are on the cherokee. so, if you get a longer section of MJ frame (i.e. from back of cab to where LCA's mount), you can mate those together with little difficulty.

the trans humps are the same up to the point you picture...towards the back, the MJ has a larger driveshaft hump than the cherokee. the floor pans are different, and yes the roof line is different, BUT one nice thing (as i'm sure you found out badger) is that the body lines will match up, and the drip rails line up...

you don't need to build new frame rails or anything, but it's heavily advised...if you're this in-depth already may as well beef it up.

my viewpoints on the frame rails are pretty much for someone who wants to make it look as stock as possible underneath. I'd still do it my way, but plate the frame up. also, my way will require more floor work...which may or may not be your idea of fun.[/i]

Yes the frame rails are the same width but there shapes are completely different. The Mj has a lower profile rail the the Xj does.

Anyway you look at it it's going to be a lot of work to make happen. Everybody has their ideas of how it can work and what to do to make it happen. Either way expect to have a lot of free time because you will need it.

• 2 weeks later...

I admire all the work that went into this truck. It looks great in the picture. Sure would like to talk to the owner and find out more about how this was done.

Anyone have more information on this truck?

There is one in VA which you could use for reference.

I think I still have the guys contact info around here somewhere if you want it. Might take a couple days to find it.