SOA with 8.25......

got a 8.25(open) out of a 01 XJ.

got an 88MJ with Dana 35(puke)

If I put the 8.25 in will the additional height change anything will respect to the driveshaft?

How much lift will I get out of the setup? I don't really want the rear end way up higher........and if its too much lift for my taste would I be better off using the XJ springs to keep it more akin to where I want it.....

Any comments on shock length?

I think your confused, or are not completely explaining everything you want to do.

First off, swapping in the 8.25 is a OK move. Better if its a late model with disc;s and 29 splines. BTW, you do know its NOT a bolt in? Perches and shock mounts must be moved/welded.

Second, as the 8.25 has larger tubes its NOT going to raise you at all. As a matter of fact, it will LOWER you in the rear. (Only by 1/4 - 3/8 of an inch.)

This is because MJ's are SUA from the factory.

Now if your thinking of putting the springs OVER the axle. You will net somewhere between 5.25 and 6"of LIFT. this varies because the height of the perches you choose and a little because of the increased tube diameters.

XJ leaves are much shorter overall than MJ leaves and will not fit with out extensive work moving mounts.

Shock length is best determined after the fact by compressing and extending the suspension and measuring.

CW

CW I don't mean to always disagree with ya, but I think your incorrect on a few things here...

He's going SOA, a 8.25" has a 3" axle tube, wheras a D35 and D44 are aprox 2.75". So going SOA with the 8.25" will get him a 1/4" more lift. Not that it's going to be noticeable but it will lift more; not lower like you said. I think your' still thinking he's talking SUA...

He mentioned going with a 8.25" out of a '01 XJ. It will be 29 spline. They made the change from 27 spline to 29 spline in 1997 in the XJ's. Any "facelifted" XJ with a 8.25" will have the larger spline count.

The 8.25" is easily converted to disc rear brakes using parts off of a ZJ D35. It's essentially "bolt-on" with just the mounting plates needing to be enlarged.

Honestly I think that the 29 spline 8.25" is a better option than the "popular" Ford 8.8". It can be built for less, easily converted to discs, and in my opinion just a strong. But I won't get into what I think about the 8.8" here. :D

CW I don't mean to always disagree with ya, but I think your incorrect on a few things here...

He's going SOA, a 8.25" has a 3" axle tube, wheras a D35 and D44 are aprox 2.75". So going SOA with the 8.25" will get him a 1/4" more lift. Not that it's going to be noticeable but it will lift more; not lower like you said. I think your' still thinking he's talking SUA...

He mentioned going with a 8.25" out of a '01 XJ. It will be 29 spline. They made the change from 27 spline to 29 spline in 1997 in the XJ's. Any "facelifted" XJ with a 8.25" will have the larger spline count.

The 8.25" is easily converted to disc rear brakes using parts off of a ZJ D35. It's essentially "bolt-on" with just the mounting plates needing to be enlarged.

Honestly I think that the 29 spline 8.25" is a better option than the "popular" Ford 8.8". It can be built for less, easily converted to discs, and in my opinion just a strong. But I won't get into what I think about the 8.8" here. :D

Yup, as the title says, I'm going SOA, no reason to reweld perches and all that stuff....

And yes, it is a 29 spline axle with about 80k miles on it.

I probably will eventually convert the rear to discs, but right now I have so much other stuff to do on the truck that thats a much further down the road problem, but your right, the parts to convert them are readily availble at my local junkyard......heck, I could have even pulled some discs of an 05 KJ with the 8.25 rear end.....that would have been a very nice setup.

I see no reason to bother with a ford 8.8. It just looks like alot more work and time for essentially zero improvement for me.

Plus, the 8.25 was free.

And don't be tempted to force it. It's close enough that you can make it fit, but far enough apart that you'll destroy the leaf spring bushings in short order. It's happened before.

Well for now I guess I will just throw this axle back under the parts jeep to get it out of the way.....

This has just become a "gonna happen later" item.

I think your confused, or are not completely explaining everything you want to do.

First off, swapping in the 8.25 is a OK move. Better if its a late model with disc;s and 29 splines. BTW, you do know its NOT a bolt in? Perches and shock mounts must be moved/welded.

Second, as the 8.25 has larger tubes its NOT going to raise you at all. As a matter of fact, it will LOWER you in the rear. (Only by 1/4 - 3/8 of an inch.)

Now if your thinking of putting the springs OVER the axle. You will net somewhere between 5.25 and 6"of LIFT. this varies because the height of the perches you choose and a little because of the increased tube diameters.

XJ leaves are much shorter overall than MJ leaves and will not fit with out extensive work moving mounts.

Shock length is best determined after the fact by compressing and extending the suspension and measuring.

CW

Lead not Follow... BTW WTF is your actual name?? You, like me, didn't read the complete post.

I also think its a good move, and I said so in my post.

I said it would be better if he used a late model. (didn't read '01)

I know all about the dimensions of the axle, that's why I said it will LOWER it SUA and RAISE it SOA, its written in my first post.

I also pointed out you MUST REWELD perches, in my post.... :roll:

Some times I wonder why I give all this information... :roll: ;)

Sorry, I DIDNT read you where going SOA and that it was a '01 axle. :oops: :oops:

CW

They made the change from 27 spline to 29 spline in 1997 in the XJ's. Any "facelifted" XJ with a 8.25" will have the larger spline count.

Sorry I have to disagree with you on this. 1997 was the first full year they used 29 spline shafts. 1996 was the change over year. The earlier 96 XJ got 27 splines and the ones built later that year got 29.

The 29 spline 8.25 in my XJ came out of a 1996.

They made the change from 27 spline to 29 spline in 1997 in the XJ's. Any "facelifted" XJ with a 8.25" will have the larger spline count.

Sorry I have to disagree with you on this. 1997 was the first full year they used 29 spline shafts. 1996 was the change over year. The earlier 96 XJ got 27 splines and the ones built later that year got 29.

Just because your 1996 XJ axle was 29 spline does not mean that every 1996 axle is 29 spline. So the "safe" bet is to not even mention a 1996 axle as if you tell someone a 1996 axle is 29 spline; they go buy a 8.25 out of a 96 and it ends up being only a 27 spline. Then they are pi$$ed cause you told them a '96 axle was 29 spline.

Most likely the 1996 XJ your 29 spline came out of was one of the last '96 models to come out. They most likely ran out of the 27 spline one's and used the new 29 spline one's still in the older body style. Being that 1996 was the year the most XJ's were made even tell us that they were throwing whatever parts available to them on the available chassis' to move them out the door. I will even venture to say 9 times out of 10 a 1996 8.25" will be 27 spline.

Just because your 1996 XJ axle was 29 spline does not mean that every 1996 axle is 29 spline. So the "safe" bet is to not even mention a 1996 axle as if you tell someone a 1996 axle is 29 spline; they go buy a 8.25 out of a 96 and it ends up being only a 27 spline. Then they are pi$$ed cause you told them a '96 axle was 29 spline.

Most likely the 1996 XJ your 29 spline came out of was one of the last '96 models to come out. They most likely ran out of the 27 spline one's and used the new 29 spline one's still in the older body style. Being that 1996 was the year the most XJ's were made even tell us that they were throwing whatever parts available to them on the available chassis' to move them out the door. I will even venture to say 9 times out of 10 a 1996 8.25" will be 27 spline.

CW

Lead not Follow... BTW WTF is your actual name?? You, like me, didn't read the complete post.

I also think its a good move, and I said so in my post.

I said it would be better if he used a late model. (didn't read '01)

I know all about the dimensions of the axle, that's why I said it will LOWER it SUA and RAISE it SOA, its written in my first post.

I also pointed out you MUST REWELD perches, in my post.... :roll:

Some times I wonder why I give all this information... :roll: ;)

Sorry, I DIDNT read you where going SOA and that it was a '01 axle. :oops: :oops:

CW

No I read it all and noticed your reply was informative; however not the answer that the original poster was looking for based on the info he originally gave us. Well maybe the info was the same, just harder to understand since you were talking about SUA and later model 8.25's when he already stated the info. That's all; nothing more. 8)

Please continue with the discussion.... :cheers:

I understand that; however by saying to someone "1996 was the changeover year" to mean sounds like your saying all 1996 XJ's with the 8.25" axle were 29 spline. I do realize you added the 2nd part of it clarifying what you meant; which than is ok.

However if I was to of said in my original post that "1996 was the changeover year", I would of gotten the same flack from someone saying, "no, not all 1996 XJ's with the 8.25" axle were 29 spline". Typically if someone says a changeover year that means that something is changed ENTIRELY that year on all models; not just applying to some.

So what was the changeover year for the new HO 4.0L? Do you say 1990 or 1991? What about the XJ's that were built in 1990 but sold as a 1991 model? See where I am going with this...

OK, I'll bite...what the heck (WTF) is an SOA? SUA?

By the way (BTW) since this is the Tech section of the Forum, when writing anything using common abreviations, it is proper to use the complete term spelled out first and then illustrated with the abreviation in parenthesis that you intend to use in your contribution.

By the way (BTW) since this is the Tech section of the Forum, when writing anything using common abreviations, it is proper to use the complete term spelled out first and then illustrated with the abreviation in parenthesis that you intend to use in your contribution.

Yes generally you would do that with uncommon terms.

Example.

"how do I test the output voltage of the APPS for my engine, it shouldn't be that hard since its basically just a big POT"

Translation"

"how do I test the output voltage of the APPS(Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor) for my engine, it shouldn't be that hard since its basically just a big POT(Potentiometer)"

However with something simple and relatively widely known such as LCA's UCA's you don't bother.

You wouldn't expect someone to spell out FYI, EG, IE, ETC.......... et cetera all the time would you?

I doubt you'll be able to convince everyone to stop using abbreviations (even though it'd be better for individuals reading) probably due to a combination of extreme familiarity with the subject matter and acute laziness. But don't ever hesitate to ask about an abbreviation you aren't familiar with. Don't worry, you'll pick up the lingo fast enough. :D

Thanks for the info. Funny enough, I was thinking about the abreviations and thought how peculiar, I know SOB but SOA hmmm, then it came to me..something to do with springs. spring over, spring under.yep.

BTW, hvng trble w/OYD, any sugs?

Only kidding, no I don't expect anyone to spell out everything. I kinda like word puzzles.

Also love this club! Can't tell you how many times it's saved my butt working on my MJ. I belong to several forums, mostly to do with Lotus cars, but none are even close to the usefullnes of this web site.

Jess :cheers:

'89 MJ 4.0

5speed (not sure which one)

D35

factory buckets

console

Momo steering wheel

Canyon wheels

Custom stainless bed rail covers

Tube rear bumper

other stuff