nasty rattling/popping noises

Ok, this problem has been getting more and more annoying since April now. I have been getting a rattle when I start up/ power down the mj, when I let off the clutch, and when the rpms drop below 700 rpms, I als get this rattle when the truck is off camber (and idling),when I hit bumps, and when I turn left at high speeds (its turned into more of a growling when at speeds though), So far Ive replaced both unit bearings, u joints, trac bar, tie rod, and control arms to fix this, but now it has become apparent that it is not related to suspension/steering components because it happens even at an idle now.

Ideas??????????????????????????????????????????????????/ :headpop:

Brand new BDM exhaust. so I don't think that it is the CAT

Brand new doesn't mean SQUAT!!! NEVER NEVER assume its right just cause its new. Check with your own eyes.

Its the first thing I thought of too, EXHAUST!! Check just behind cat where it goes over the Xmember. ORCA gave good advice!! There is a rubber mount the hanger "plugs" into that sags with age. I added another hanger there on mine as it did almost exactly what you describe.

Also check just below the manifold to see if the front yoke is contacting the exhaust there. and lastly where the exhaust goes over the axle. be sure its not too close to the bed/shock.

Good luck,

CW

I cannot find a good pic... But if you look all the way to the right in this shot. Just behind the cat. You will see a piece of it. its square and bolts to the exhaust where the flange of the cat bolts to the front collector pipe, Right above the X member.

As the truck ages, the rubber fatigues and allows the exhaust to get closer and closer to the X member causing lots of alarming noises.

CW

in one pic you have a cherry-bomb and the other an OE style?? what sup with that?

They are called "MODS" my boy. Some good and some not so good. :D :D ;)

(Act second pic was as I bought the truck. Cherry bomb was quick fix when first muff split.)

CW

What is that funny looking think in front of your muffler? Mine doesn't have that!! :D

Mine does, but there isn't anything in it I made sure of that when I installed my cherry bomb ......... mine looks alot like CWLONGSHOTs but with one difference after the hanger I have a turn down ............Works for me jamminz.gif :chillin:

I just ran into this today... I was wondering on my 96 XJ WTH was that god awful noise... I thought it was my transfer case.. I crawled under there today and yelp its the cat.. Sounds like some sort of "block" is lose and rattling around in it. Sucks its a 96 which in NC means sniff-sniff...... How much do catalytic converters cost now'a'days?? Think an Universal one will work??

I just ran into this today... I was wondering on my 96 XJ WTH was that god awful noise... I thought it was my transfer case.. I crawled under there today and yelp its the cat.. Sounds like some sort of "block" is lose and rattling around in it. Sucks its a 96 which in NC means sniff-sniff...... How much do catalytic converters cost now'a'days?? Think an Universal one will work??

Just pull the stock one out and use a pipe of something to beat all the stuff out of the cat then put it back on, but don't don't breath the dust.. It really isnt that hard.....problem solved....... :cheers:

Just pull the stock one out and use a pipe of something to beat all the stuff out of the cat then put it back on, but don't don't breath the dust.. It really isnt that hard.....problem solved....... :cheers:

96 means emissions testing in NC, so NO that is not an option...

Wow that sucks man so you have to get your xj tested every year?

Wow that sucks man so you have to get your xj tested every year?

State inspection.. so yelp... now my MJ is a 89 only thing I have to do to get it inspected is turn on my lights and honk the horn! :D