Gustav

Throttle_Jockey

The best advice would be to those in the expected landfall area to get the hell out. Don't be like all the fools that stayed in the way of Katrina and then cried about how bad off they were after getting slammed :roll: .

A Cat. 1 or a "weak 2" is not bad to ride out in a solid structure, but anything more than that you should just secure what you can and leave. :cheers:

The best advice would be to those in the expected landfall area to get the hell out. Don't be like all the fools that stayed in the way of Katrina and then cried about how bad off they were after getting slammed :roll: .

A Cat. 1 or a "weak 2" is not bad to ride out in a solid structure, but anything more than that you should just secure what you can and leave. :cheers:

Brent is correct. A three or above and you need to go. Although I wish no ill on anyone, it appears as of this morning it has been shifted further towards the Louisiana/Texas border. We shall see.

Get a generator. I have never been more pleased with a $700 purchase than our generator as it is a godsend in an extended power outage. It won't run the AC, but it keeps the lights on, the fans running, the refrigerator cold (BL Lime ;) ) etc, etc...

Get a generator. I have never been more pleased with a $700 purchase than our generator as it is a godsend in an extended power outage. It won't run the AC, but it keeps the lights on, the fans running, the refrigerator cold (BL Lime ;) ) etc, etc...

Amen to that. After years of living in typhoon-prone areas, like Guam and the Philippines, a generator is mandatory equipment. I remember when typhoon Paka came through and leveled Guam in 97, we lost power for almost six weeks.

I just have a 5Kw unit from Harbor Freight now, but I'd never be without one no matter where I lived.

Yeah, a generator is almost a necessity here. I had two 5500W before Katrina and got a deal on a third 5000W. Got smart when I built this house and installed two generator panels so I don't have to use all my extension cords.

I just checked the three generators last week for Fay, and now we might have this Gustav thing....maybe I should have left well enough alone.

I’m not proud……I’m a junk picker-upper. After Katrina left us w/o power for almost 3 weeks, I grabbed this out of someone’s trash pile:

Image Not Found

About $35 dollars in parts later and a couple cans of Rustoleum, and this is what I ended up with:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

It's only a 5000W, but like BLATZ said, it keeps the beers cold...... :chillin:

Hannah will never make it due to the high pressure ridge over Florida rignt now that is moving to the east. Unless She does a radical shift southward she will be pushed towards Europe.
That's what we're hoping for...

I went with this one...

OK. 0815 hours and light rains, medium winds and the power is flickering but holding.

Gustav is just comming onshore now, and I understand they are reporting 6-8 foot waves comming on Grand Isle, and 117 MPH winds. Thats about 80 - 100 miles from my house.

More later.

OK. 0815 hours and light rains, medium winds and the power is flickering but holding.

Gustav is just comming onshore now, and I understand they are reporting 6-8 foot waves comming on Grand Isle, and 117 MPH winds. Thats about 80 - 100 miles from my house.

More later.

As one very irritating local weather guy says constantly ...Hunker Down...

I am watching the radar and you are definitely in for much rougher weather over the next several hours. Hang in there and keep us posted as long as you can.

The funny thing about it is...depending on the weather forcaster you listen to, Gustav is either a spent category 2 already onshore, or a category 3 just comming ashore. I am sticking with Underground Weather - at least they don't have all the bullcrap.

I need to become a weather forcaster...its the only job where you can perdict wrong 90% of the time and still make really big bucks!

Just got internet back - only lost power here for about 6 hours (whew!) Generators worked great!

JUst took a drive around in the jeep - lots of limbs and debris but no real damage here. Flooding from the lake up about three blocks into the city. I understand the folks further west of us got hammered though.