? on Mechanical temp gauge

Well I installed a mechanical gauge set today and I'm wanting to put the temp probe behind the T stat (engine block location) and I'm wandering does any of you fine people have any suggestions on where to go? :bowdown:

Thanks for all the help Ive included a pic of the set here and some more

new pics in my biuld thread :cheers:

a factory gauge cluster and sending units would have been cheaper...

anyways, depending on what the sensor for the gauge looks like, you may be able to put it in place of the factory sensor.

the factory gauge sensor is actually located at the rear left of the cylinder head, directly on top of it. it is the farthest thing back and the only thing with a wire in that location.

you may be able to just swap it in. after all, the factory one is just a dummy light sender and you've got the full gauge sensor to go in anyways.

Thanks jeepcomj thats what I was looking for started to trace it today but the d@mn rain kept killing me now I have a good starting point to search out :cheers:

np

a little more help to make it easier...the sensor has only one wire going to it.

don't pull the sensor unless the motor is cool and on a level surface...coolant will flood out, or burn the $#!& out of you. just like opening a radiator cap...not a good idea :P

Thanks jeepcomj thats what I was looking for started to trace it today but the d@mn rain kept killing me now I have a good starting point to search out :cheers:

np

a little more help to make it easier...the sensor has only one wire going to it.

don't pull the sensor unless the motor is cool and on a level surface...coolant will flood out, or burn the $#!+ out of you. just like opening a radiator cap...not a good idea :P

did that when i swapped that sensor out..it sprayed me and i jumped off the truck LOL :roll:

FWIW ;)

After reading this thread I noticed that the type of engine was never said there TJ. I guess you have the 6. I have a 4 and did the same thing, aftermarket gauge set, but due to the size of the probe vs stock sensor I had to find another location. I ended up taking the plug out of the T-stat housing and lengthening the adapter to fit it there. Thread tape ensured a good seal with no drips. I wanted to use electric gauges but couldn't find any in the 1 1/2 inch size (to fit in the dash cluster :brows: ) looks almost factory.

I know I know, pics pics pics, but my "camera" isn't worth a flip (it's what I get for el cheapo from WalMart) fuzzy pics that are hard to see anyway. :oops:

You gat a PM, and I re-read the text....you can use the sensor on the thermostat housing like wooky48 said.

but DON'T replace the sensor that's on the t-stat housing. if there's one there (I believe even renix have them, and KNOW that H.O. has it), you need to keep it. it's the temp sensor for the engine computer and if it goes missing will cause running issues.

You gat a PM, and I re-read the text....you can use the sensor on the thermostat housing like wooky48 said.

but DON'T replace the sensor that's on the t-stat housing. if there's one there (I believe even renix have them, and KNOW that H.O. has it), you need to keep it. it's the temp sensor for the engine computer and if it goes missing will cause running issues.

Renix don't. They have a sensor in the block under the intake manifold IIRC.

Renix don't. They have a sensor in the block under the intake manifold IIRC.

Well, I got a Renix, so it would be OK....but I had no knowledge of what Jeepco posted...I guess you learn something every day! jamminz.gif

Ok here's what I have its not the electric sender but the mech. probe and

I donot have the port in the T-sat housing but I do have machine shop access so my question is do ya'll think I could drill and tap the housing to work for what I need I know I should have got the one with the elactric sender but was not availible at the time here are some pics of what I have

Image Not Found

[/img]Image Not Found

TJ, in the 2nd pic on the driver side of the T-stat housing is a little patch of rust, that is where the plug on mine was. It might do ya better to see if you can find a housing with the plug, remember the adapter will have to be extended anyway because the passage inside isn't all that deep, machine shop may be more trouble and expense.

My 2 cents ;)

Ok here's what I have its not the electric sender but the mech. probe and

I donot have the port in the T-sat housing but I do have machine shop access so my question is do ya'll think I could drill and tap the housing to work for what I need I know I should have got the one with the elactric sender but was not availible at the time here are some pics of what I have

Image Not Found

[/img]Image Not Found

Throttle, the housing is made of pewter/iron, and is quite fragile - I just cracked one when I was replacing the 'stat in my daughter's XJ and got a replacement from the Hwy 59 auto salvage yard. Unfortunately I got the only one they had with the sensor in it...

Checck with the yard up on Hwy 25 right before Lake Ramsey road - they have three XJ's there.