RMS HELP ASAP

Can't get upper half of rear main seal to break loose! Tapped on it ,tried rotating crank,tied getting seal removal tool around it(won't go). Not sure how hard to hit punch,don't wanna mark crank. Any suggestions? Also, where the seal seats,there is a fine black line, is that some sort of micro groove?If so,mine has a very small smooth spot in it. Hope that makes sense. Was hoping to go wheelin tomorrow and check out my fuel pump install,but things are lookin bleak right now! Thanx, ko

:hmm: I have never seen that issue... :nuts:

The seal has always been easy to push one end and it rotates a little so you can grab it and pull it out. Sorry for the worthless post, but I am curious about what the issue is to... :chillin:

Just gotta keep tapping it. I had mine hang up on me as well, but ensure you get the punched lined up with the metal in the seal and tap away. Don't be scared to give it a good wack. the seal will break loose. Then if you try turning the crank add some oil to it that way when it rotates it can help lube the seal.

Thanx MiniBeast!!! With a custom made punch out of a old Craftsman screwdriver and your encouragement of "don't be afraid to hit it", the seal is now on the floor!!! This is Exactly what CW's thread in the Pub is all about! Thanx again!!! ko

Thanx MiniBeast!!! With a custom made punch out of a old Craftsman screwdriver and your encouragement of "don't be afraid to hit it", the seal is now on the floor!!! This is Exactly what CW's thread in the Pub is all about! Thanx again!!! ko

Glad to see to got her out, now be sure to soap on there to help slide the upper piece in, then put gasket sealant on the seal ends and oil the lip per install you wouldn't want to do this again a month down the road. :thumbsup:

Didn't stop short of the CCV system either. Got up early and pulled valve cover, cleaned ports and reinstalled. Just waitin' now for an XJ friend to call to go wheelin' for a few hours. The nice thing about livin' so close to the Rockies,only a 30 min. drive to Eagle Rock/Saran Wrap off-road trails. If anyone is interested, there's a video on you-tube of a toyota wheelin an obstacle that I've taken my MJ through. Needless to say, I was mighty proud of her.Just Google it or go to you-tube site and type it in. Thanx again for all the help!!! ko