Switching to Intermittent Wipers

Besides the turn signal stalk, what is needed to switch to intermittent wipers? I am guessing there is probably a box under the dash that controls the amount of delay between wipes, etc.? I'm trying to get an idea of what to look for the next time I find myself in the junk yard. :D

Thanks,

Willy

Besides the turn signal stalk, what is needed to switch to intermittent wipers? I am guessing there is probably a box under the dash that controls the amount of delay between wipes, etc.? I'm trying to get an idea of what to look for the next time I find myself in the junk yard. :D

Thanks,

Willy

It's a black plastic box with velcro on it.

Thanks,

Willy

Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for.

Does the wiring from the turn signal stalk and wiper motor plug into this? Or do I need to grab all the wiring from the turn signal stalk clear to the wiper motor?

Thanks,

Willy

Does the wiring from the turn signal stalk and wiper motor plug into this? Or do I need to grab all the wiring from the turn signal stalk clear to the wiper motor? Thanks, Willy

As above, you will need the wiper delay module box (just plugs in the harness under the column), a new multifunction stalk w. the delay feature, and a new wiper switch w. the intermittent wiper feature. It's a bear to get out as the column has to be ripped apart to get to it. And a used one will probably be worn out and/or broken when you get it out. I used a new switch from the link below, p/n 56000032. Your existing non-intermittent wiper switch will not work as the internal switches are different and there are not enough wires (you need seven wires) to the delay module.

http://thejeep.com/shop/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=xj+wiper+switch

Thanks,

Willy

Thanks. Now I know what to look for when I try to figure out why my intermittent setting doesn't work. It just stops the wiper dead wherever they happen to be.

I had to replace that box in my 90. The wipers would go way past their proper stops and smack the A-pillar and the cowling pretty hard. I thought it was bad bushings in the mechanism but it turned out to be just a bad int. box.

Sorry to Hi-jack, but what would you think it could be if your wipers stopped working all together? and you knew it wasn't the motor?

Do you have intermittent? If so you should be able to bypass the box and plug the 2 connectors directly into each other.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys! My wipers just stoped! Nothing at all happens i checked the fuses and all is ok.... I tried to by pass the black box thing and everything comes on when i turn on the wipers including the washer pump! I do have a non int switch that i tried in its place and it worked fine. but it is not of the same type as it is ment for a non-tilt colum in other words not the same... Could it be just the Box is toast? if so do auto parts depo's cary them or do i need to try and find one in the junk yard from a cherokee? Any other sugestions on how to fix would also be helpful as i need these fixed for winter!!!! :Canadaflag:

:cheers:

Hey guys! My wipers just stoped! Nothing at all happens i checked the fuses and all is ok.... I tried to by pass the black box thing and everything comes on when i turn on the wipers including the washer pump! I do have a non int switch that i tried in its place and it worked fine. but it is not of the same type as it is ment for a non-tilt colum in other words not the same... Could it be just the Box is toast? if so do auto parts depo's cary them or do i need to try and find one in the junk yard from a cherokee? Any other sugestions on how to fix would also be helpful as i need these fixed for winter!!!! :Canadaflag: :cheers:

The intermittent module is a dealer-only or junkyard item. Try that first as it's the easiest.