turn the key and -"click!"

I won't say for sure its your problem now, But I guarantee it will be in the near future!!

GET RID OF THAT POSITIVE CABLE!!! Buy yourself a brandy new factory style cable. Unless you are meticulous with die-electric grease it is going to allow moisture in and will quickly corrode, shorting out. When it shorts you will not get enough "juice" to the starter to start the truck.

In case you didn't catch my drift.. I hate those type of connectors for everything buy very short term quick fixes.

CW

okay do this. check the battery for 12.6v or more. if its low, charge it, because you can ruin a starter by not giving it enough juice. then turn the key, if nothing happens jump the power from the batter to the power on the starter (directly down) if nothing happens its time for a starter. try banging the actual motor NOT the solenoid. its like a get out of jail free card, it only works once.

okay do this. check the battery for 12.6v or more. if its low, charge it, because you can ruin a starter by not giving it enough juice. then turn the key, if nothing happens jump the power from the batter to the power on the starter (directly down) if nothing happens its time for a starter. try banging the actual motor NOT the solenoid. its like a get out of jail free card, it only works once.

just back from my hiking trip - tomorrow i will do these things. does anyone know anything about this yellow engine block ? - was that something from a certain year or.............maybe just a trick-up, - there is a header on it.

Way back in high school a buddy of mine used the "only works once" hit it with a hammer technique for most of an entire school year before he finally replaced it over summer break.

When this works it is usually because one of the brushes is stuck and not touching the armature. Tapping the started makes the brush spring forward and make contact. Why it sometimes kills the starter is because if hit too hard in the wrong place, you can break the permanent magnets that are screwed or bonded to the housing. Most "bad" starters just need a good disassembled cleaning and new brushes.

Brushes in GM starters are not replaceable They are also not cheap, probably because the solenoid is built onto the starter. I paid $79 for my Geo and Olds 98, $209!!!! for my Suburban (gear reduction starter).

My Ford, however, was $19 for 2 year warranty, $29 for lifetime warranty, and it was made so brushes could be replaced.Of course when mine went bad it was because the housing for the drive gear cracked, having nothing to do with brushes.