horn troubleshooting

ok, Ive been working on my horn lately as it hasnt worked since i got the truck.

I replaced the relay and its still a no go. what needs to be hooked up in back of the horn button (functioning) on the old style non 3-spoke steering wheels. pics of back of horn button would be helpful.

TIA

No it doesnt blow at all. There are 2 connectors sticking out of the back side of the button assembly that do not touch anything, so nothing is connected, though if i hook up wires direct to another horn laying around the button will work.

then you need to run those wires to your horn.

I thought that the horn was supposed to be operating with power through the column, not from direct wires run from the button to the horn. I believe that the horn in the truck is all wired up, i just don't know what needs to be wired from the button and where it needs to be wired to.

I went through this problem with my horn. Changed every component and still didn't work. Then just for the hell of it, I cranked the truck up and boom, the horn worked. I never would have guessed that the horn would only work with the ignition on. I guess that is 20 year old technology for you. If you have been working on it with the ignition off, you may want to turn it on. :D

:cheers:

yeah, i found out about the ignition on thing way b4 i started working on it. I really think this problem has to do with the fact that nothing is hooked up on the back of the horn button, my question now is, what is supposed to be connected to the back of the horn button?

BTW, thanks for that wiring guide minibeast, its helped a ton so far!!! :bowdown:

yeah, i found out about the ignition on thing way b4 i started working on it.

I wished I had. The day I did all the work trying to figure it out it was a 110. :oops: Felt real :dunce: when I found out. Anyway good luck.

:cheers:

ok, looking at that wiring diagram, it says that the horn button needs to be grounded (I am assuming that is what one of the prongs are for) and a black wire needs to be run to the horn brush ring (assuming thats what the other connector is for) what (and where) is the horn brush ring?

alright, i got it to work, in tests at least. i found that if i shove a test wire down the insulated tube the horn will work (with it grounded of course. Is there some type of special connector that connects to the contact inside of that tube?

Here, this may help. I ASSume this is the wheel you have; if you need the diagram for the 3-spoke wheel let me know.

Image Not Found

That is exactly what i needed. I was able to rig up the horn to work temporarily. I think I am missing 6, and 5. could you email that manual or photo to me so that I can see it full size in acrobat.

Thanks Hornbrod.

James jamminz.gif