'79 f-150

I stumbled across a complete, running '79 f-150 for $500. Is it worth that for the axles?...or should I pass it up? I don't really know that much about the Ford D44s. Ideally, I would use the TNT truss to convert to Jeep 4 link or Rockkrawler 3 link. Any info would be helpful.

I stumbled across a complete, running '79 f-150 for $500. Is it worth that for the axles?...or should I pass it up? I don't really know that much about the Ford D44s. Ideally, I would use the TNT truss to convert to Jeep 4 link or Rockkrawler 3 link. Any info would be helpful.

I bought a '77 F-150 disc brake HP D44 (1/2" thick tubes w/weld on brackets)and two 9" rear axles(one has new brake & drums) for $250.00.

'79 HP D44's have thin tubes with cast mounts.

Nope front 44 uses the cast on radius arm mounts that are not removable.You want to find either a F150 from 73 to 77 or a 78 to 79 F250/350.This is only for the front axle.The rear axle in the F150 will be a Ford 9" .They are a great axle but I'm not a fan of the ultra low pinion.The F25/350 would have a dana 60 in the rear.

Sorta. I had a 79 F-250 camper special axle - it was a leaf sprung version. So, as long as it had leaf springs it won't have the cast in mounts. I'm under the impression that all F-250s of those years were leaf sprung. But I may be wrong.

There is a few things you should know about the leaf sprung ones... There's a spring perch cast into the pumpkin, and it causes it to be about 3" wider than normal. I believe you'd have to trim that off for the TNT truss to work, as you can't make normal 'jeep style' brackets work without doing that. Also, ford knuckles are junk. And it's almost certain to have 3.55 gears.

There is a few things you should know about the leaf sprung ones... There's a spring perch cast into the pumpkin, and it causes it to be about 3" wider than normal. I believe you'd have to trim that off for the TNT truss to work, as you can't make normal 'jeep style' brackets work without doing that.

The cast spring perch needs to be trimmed to fit the TNT truss on the Ford D60. There are some pics of one here

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=627998&page=13.

I know there is another thread in the Pirate Cherokee forum where a guy just cut a notch in the spring perch, but I can't seem to find it at the moment. :dunno:

Willy