Any computer geeks here?

vzehler

Well, after my HP laptop burnt up it's third hard drive and motherboard, Best Buy has offered me a "junkout" on their no lemon policy. I originally paid $1,699 for my laptop and they pretty much are letting me take that original purchase amount toward any computer I want or will "swap it out" with something comparable for free. I figured the best option will be to use my original purchase price toward a new laptop.

I've narrowed it down to two choices. Which direction would you guys go?

Seems like the Dell has a .10 gig faster processor and a bit better resolution on the screen but the ASUS has more memory and a few other options. Just a toss up for me and I'm having a hard time deciding.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;jsessionid=CURO5JWLFJ0EJKC4D3EFAHA?skuId=8703423&type=product&id=1199495191529

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8906188&type=product&id=1213046768863

Well, after my HP laptop burnt up it's third hard drive and motherboard, Best Buy has offered me a "junkout" on their no lemon policy. I originally paid $1,699 for my laptop and they pretty much are letting me take that original purchase amount toward any computer I want or will "swap it out" with something comparable for free. I figured the best option will be to use my original purchase price toward a new laptop.

I've narrowed it down to two choices. Which direction would you guys go?

Seems like the Dell has a .10 gig faster processor and a bit better resolution on the screen but the ASUS has more memory and a few other options. Just a toss up for me and I'm having a hard time deciding.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;jsessionid=CURO5JWLFJ0EJKC4D3EFAHA?skuId=8703423&type=product&id=1199495191529

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8906188&type=product&id=1213046768863

Geek Here...

I have no experience with the Complete ASUS systems, but have used thier Motherboards forever in my personally built PC's (with good results). With that being said, I'm typing this reply on an older Dell XPS 1210 Notebook now, and wouldn't really consider buying any other brand. While some people aren't crazy about their service and support, I've always been really happy...We also support thousands of Dell business systems at work and all of my techs swear by them (over HP, although we are going to be adding Lenovo into the mix soon).

I say go for the Dell... Memory is quite cheap and I personally think you are getting a system with a better track record, one that you will more readily and easily get parts and accessories for...

I just like to stick with the name I know and trust...DELL

Good luck (and thanks for not asking a MAC question because then I would have had to ignore you!)

SW2

Asus...

For the money you are getting twice the RAM, faster hard disk, and a few other things.

I use a Dell laptop at home, Dell PC at work, and have repaired many throughout the years.

I have also had Asus motherboards in my personal gaming/video editing systems for a long time.

I like the Asus stuff a bit better than Dell as of late.

I would go for the Dell, mainly because of the higher resolution, which is difficult to change in a laptop. The .10GHz difference between processor speed will not be noticeable unless you pay attention to benchmark numbers. If you find you need more RAM, that will be easy to add, and relatively cheap.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a Macbook. I've been a dos and windows guy since the beginning so I figured what the heck. Plus, graphic's and multimedia are what they are designed around and that's more to me than office apps.

Just a thought.

:cheers:

I recomend not going with dell. If the dell breaks you can only get it fixed by shipping it to dell no home repairs can be done. I recommend going with acer. but that is my opinion.

I'm running a acer... I have to say it is one tuff laptop... It survived the heat and sand of Iraq, Kuwait, and Death Vally at Ft Irwin.. Its been to Germany, Ireland, and Italy... The screen doesnt work now, but she still runs a few CAD programs and has no problem handling a file share with all that going on too... But I do need to upgrade thats for sure... I want a Mac though.....

You know what they say....once you go MAC, you never go back! :brows: . Had my Macbook for a year and a half. NO anti virus programs, NO anti spam programs, NO firewall. ZERO problems. Up and running in 20 secs from cold boot. When my home PC Compaq finally pukes for good, it will be replaced by another Apple. They are over priced though.

I HAVE to use a Dell for work. Now I know why that Steve kid was always stoned.

I want a Mac though.....

You are dead to me...

SW2

Sorry bro,, but I just can't stop thinking about the ipod, iphone, itunes, and their ability to give me an edge when it comes to running 3D modeling programs.. I like the ergonomics...

I just feel like the Macs are more suited to me,, = I've heard bad things about vista.. :dunno:

I want a Mac though.....

You are dead to me...

SW2

Sorry bro,, but I just can't stop thinking about the ipod, iphone, itunes, and their ability to give me an edge when it comes to running 3D modeling programs.. I like the ergonomics...

I just feel like the Macs are more suited to me,, = I've heard bad things about vista.. :dunno:

Meh...that's what Apple wants you to think...it's a conspiracy... I have an iPod, but I don't think I would rock an iPhone if you gave it to me (I'm am Blackberry Fanboy)...

I'm just bustin chops...Apple has it's place in the "artsy fartsy" world, but in my real life job of supporting PC's in a large business (about 40,000 employees world wide), it's a joke...literally...