np242?

Can someone school me on the np242 j transfer case. I saw one in a scrap yard thats sitting in a 89 cherokee. Noticed it has 4 part time, 4 fulltime and 4lo. I would consider it a rare find because I have never seen one. Is it a transfer case thats highly sought after or a good swap for the np231?

I didn't pull it, but they only want $54.99 plus tax for it. Thank for any help in advance

It's not rare in Cherokees. Heck, it could outnumber the 231 for all I know. There's a lot of them out there.

The big difference is that it allows the driver to use 4wd on dry pavement (the "fulltime" setting).

i had it in my '92 ltd and loved it in the winter, especially in town where some streets were bare and others covered with snow. it also seemed handy in hilly regions of the coast mountains where being "in" all the time was a waste of fuel----just put in full-time and don't have to think about it. i considered it a luxury that i liked -just like the compass, leather and the power windows.

For $55 it a great up grade, plus being the '89 it would be a 21 spline count, and would bolt right up to your MJ.

I had an 242, 21 spline offered to me around here, for $250, so I would say it's a good find :D

Full time 4wd is really awd. With rear wheel drive (2wd) if you have one rear wheel on pavement and one on ice, you won't go anywhere. With awd and no form of traction control, if you have ANY ONE wheel (even a front one) on ice you won't go anywhere.

But it can help prevent fishtails and skids in slippery conditions, without having to worry about switching back to 2wd before making a turn on dry pavement.

It's got advantages, it's got disadvantages, but for $55 you can't really go wrong.

The only vehicle I've driven with full time 4wd was an 81 Chevy K20, but it had gov-locks front and back. That brings back some memories...

With awd and no form of traction control, if you have ANY ONE wheel (even a front one) on ice you won't go anywhere.

The 242's AWD feature doesn't quite work that way. The t-case isn't an open diff that would allow full power to go either only front or only to the back. It has a limit of rotational difference (something like 47%-53%). It's close enough to 50-50 that I can feel the binding in the Libby when turning sharply in a parking lot. Think of it more like a 231 with a small amount of slip allowed.

There are many different varieties of "AWD".

I would love to swap a 242 into my 'manche. I have owned two WJ's with it, and driven countless others as a Jeep tech, and really like the case. My truck with the 231 binds like a bi^ch on anything close to dry pavement in 4wd.