Questions about buying a rebuilt engine.

That engine looks solid man.... Great price... I think youll be fine with some new oil...

Is there a way to manually prime the oil system on a 4.0???

yep, remove the dizzy, take a flathead screwdriver and chop the handle off and put it in a drill. fill engine with about half the oil required from factory, and spin the dizzy rotor with the screwdriver tip.

pretty much the same way to prime a SBC

yes just like

Well I got new bolts for the engine stand so I was ready to start working on this thing.

Pulled the oil pan. It had a little oil in there but it looks fairly new.

Not to bad looking.

Just a little surface rust but none on the bearings or cylinders. (Big Pic's)

Well after inspecting it and putting a little oil down the cylinders through the plug holes and putting some on the crank and piston rods, I tried to turn the crank.

It won't move at all. :wall: I knew things were going to well. Any suggestions other than pulling bearing caps till it frees up?

pb blaster through the plug holes?? Let it sit,, but I think you'll still need to pull all the pistons and run a cyl hone through all cylinders.

Yep, it's soaking right now. I'm hoping it's just one cylinder stuck. I really didn't want to pull this thing apart, but it looks like I'm going to.

It is quite possible the pistone rings have rusted to the cylinder walls. Probably no more than surface rust. Pour transmission fluid or a mix of transmission fluid and a solvent (acetone?) into each spark plug hole and let it sit overnight, and the next day carefully try to break loose the crank.

Over the years I've heard all sort of stories of people busting loose some rusted up engine and getting many years of use. However, they were still installed and the car was either free or salvage. Your project is completely different. Based on your purchase price, you still have plenty of room. You should pull the pistons, hone, and probably install new rings. Hopefully the bearing were well oiled. If not maybe a run in and then change the inserts. Have to look at the journals. Then there are all of the passages. Check a few out if there is any crud, the block and crank probably need to be cleaned. Really have to check all of them.

I know you don't want to hear it but for your project do you really want to cut some corners on the engine? If it's just to make sure the engine is built to your standards. Expense won't be too bad, just the time to teardown, clean, inspect, and rebuild. There shouldn't be any machining or many new parts required.