'86 Comanche long bed value?

Hello Comanche fans,

This is my first post so I hope I'm not violating a bunch of your rules or creating a new thread where an old one exists.

I'm not a Comanche owner (though I have always admired them). My purpose in registering is to try to help a friend sell one. My wife's friend's husband died a couple months ago. His pet was an '86 Comanche. She needs to sell it and I'm at a loss as to what to tell her for value. I have looked at it pretty thoroughly and this is what I found-

1986 long bed, 2,8 liter V-6, five speed dual range 4WD, A/C, P/S. AM-FM radio, Pendarailer bedliner, dark blue color. It shows 137,519.8 miles (her husband commuted 100 miles a day from the time he bought it new until he changed jobs a few years ago. It was religiously maintained by a Jeep dealer all its life. It's pretty sharp overall, but has a few warts- headliner sags, paint on hood and roof checked (was waxed regularly, even last fall), driver's door armrest is pulled away, window crank knob missing, small crack in dash at glove box, only rust I saw was a bubble on the top of the left rear wheel well flare moulding, a/c blows, but not cold. It starts and runs great- sounds good, not visible leaks- should drive anywhere ok, new battery last fall, spare tire never off the mount, complete owner's packet in the glove box, vinyl seat covered since new, looks ok (he didn't like the feel of vinyl).

Any ideas of a fair price?

I have a number of pix I can email.

Thanks,

Paul Johnson

I think Pics would help greatly in the "appraisal"... I'm not familiar with the West Virginia market and the prices appear to vary by state... Amount of Rust big factor in areas where that's a problem. You can also take a look at Craigslist to get an idea of what others are going for. Could be $500, up to a couple thousand probably...

Only 3 Rules Here...

Rule #1: Be friendly.

Rule #2: Absolutely NO apologizing for asking questions!!! That is what we're here for, answering each other's questions. There's no need to feel bad because you are unsure of something or if you couldn't find what you were looking for using the "search" feature. We all start at the bottom of the knowledge ladder and there's only one way to climb up. I encourage you to ask whatever is on your mind.

Rule #3: You do NOT need to own an MJ to be here. I repeat, you do not need to actually own an MJ to sign up, post, or otherwise take part in any activities.

Thanks for the quick response.

Here are a couple shots of the Comanche. I have others that I can post if there is interest. It's a bit dirty having been driven down a muddy driveway the morning I took the pix.

I also forgot to mention that it has the sliding rear window and that the door speakers are probably bad (covers gone).

Copy%20of%20Gageby%20Jeep%206-19-08%20001.jpg

Copy%20of%20Gageby%20Jeep%206-19-08%20006.jpg

From what it sounds like, it has a lot less rust than would be usual for where it's from, and the pictures seem to agree with that. The main issue would be the engine. The GM V6 was arguably the worst engine to have ever been put in a Jeep, and does not have a lot of friends. It was also the cheapest engine option available I believe.

My guess (and I may be off base a bit, so I hope others will reply as well) would be to ask $1800 and take any offer over $1500.

If the truck was as well taken care of as it looks( former owner's pet), then I would agree with the $1500-$1800 range. As previously said the drawback with that year was the V6. Another factor to consider is how many miles does it have on it, and are they hiway cruising miles or rough stop and go miles.

Anyway, it looks like a very nice mj, hope it finds a good home. :driving:

From what it sounds like, it has a lot less rust than would be usual for where it's from, and the pictures seem to agree with that. The main issue would be the engine. The GM V6 was arguably the worst engine to have ever been put in a Jeep, and does not have a lot of friends. It was also the cheapest engine option available I believe.

My guess (and I may be off base a bit, so I hope others will reply as well) would be to ask $1800 and take any offer over $1500.

But the engine it has it makes it a real good candidate for another gm engine swap.. and with it being a 1 owner truck that would be more desirable .. I'd say she could probably by able to sell it for 2k, the thing is getting it out there to buyers.. Ebay looks like a great place to sell a Comanche..