torque specs

any one know how much i should torque the head on my 88 4.0 also wondering wether or not i should use gasket sealer on my head gasket?

any info would be appreciated

P.S. expect alot more questions like these, I'm only 17 and just got my new mj. My knowledge is limited and sometimes i get my self in over my head with these projects.

Remembering off the top of my head ;) I think it is 110ft/lbs. Remember to torque it down in steps. also rememebr ther is a correct order to torque bolts down in. Try doing a google search on this, or check in Naxja, or Jeepforum.

When I rebuilt the motor in my XJ, I never applied any gasket sealer to it, and had zero issues

Best advice is buy the manual that you get from advance or any auto parts stores. I was 16 when i got mine and i had a engine that was completely dismantled and had no idea where to start and the chilton manual came in handy. Just remember that alot of the torq specs are written by engineers not mechanics. Good luck and follow the torque pattern for the head and also i did add some sealant to the head gasket just in case but you don't really need to or it would tell you to in the instruction just some people have preferences.

Cole

The '90 FSM says to tighten bolts using the tightening sequence to:

22 ft. lbs.

then 45 ft. lbs.

then recheck at 45 ft. lbs.

then to 110 ft. lbs. except #11 to 100 ft. lbs. (bolt #11 should be coated with Locktite 592)

The tightening sequence is as you're looking from the front:

#1 -middle bolt on left

#2 –middle bolt on right

#3 -bolt in font of #2

#4 -bolt in front of #1

#5 -bolt behind #1

#6 -bolt behind #2

#7 -bolt in front of #3

#8 -bolt in front of #4

#9 -bolt behind #5

#10 -bolt behind #6

#11 - bolt in front of #7

#12 - bolt in front of #8

#13 -bolt behind #9

#14 -bolt behind #10

You’re basically making a spiral from the center.

It specifically says do not apply sealing compound and to reuse head bolts only once. I'd get new ones, I've broken them upon reinstall and had to pull the head back off to get the suckers out.

I've lost the link, but there are FSM floating around the net.

If you can't find it, i'll email or host it somewhere for you.

The order and torque you put the bolts down in are VERY important.

and no, with a proper pre cut gasket, no sealant is needed.

The '90 FSM says to tighten bolts using the tightening sequence to:

22 ft. lbs.

then 45 ft. lbs.

then recheck at 45 ft. lbs.

then to 110 ft. lbs. except #11 to 100 ft. lbs. (bolt #11 should be coated with Locktite 592)

The tightening sequence is as you're looking from the front:

#1 -middle bolt on left

#2 –middle bolt on right

#3 -bolt in font of #2

#4 -bolt in front of #1

#5 -bolt behind #1

#6 -bolt behind #2

#7 -bolt in front of #3

#8 -bolt in front of #4

#9 -bolt behind #5

#10 -bolt behind #6

#11 - bolt in front of #7

#12 - bolt in front of #8

#13 -bolt behind #9

#14 -bolt behind #10

You’re basically making a spiral from the center.

It specifically says do not apply sealing compound and to reuse head bolts only once. I'd get new ones, I've broken them upon reinstall and had to pull the head back off to get the suckers out.

THIS IS GOOD ADVICE!!! All I would add is you should at the very least get yourself a CHILTONS/HAYES manuel for the make and model vehicle you are working on.

Like lug nuts they are torqued in a specfic order and like listed above done in stages. NEVER should you use any sealant on head gaskets unless SPECFICALLY told to by the manufacturer. NEW head bolts are a good idea.

CW