"EL Comostache" 87 MJ Daily Driver/ Weekend warrior build.

jUKlp5T.jpgnVk9zHX.jpgWWxqhxg.jpgvvQd6Zq.jpgbU3xnKe.jpg8FcrEly.jpg6RFSErB.jpgE2dEXGr.jpgHi all. I'm new to the Comanches. Had a few wranglers that I built up but finally got a hold of an MJ. It's a solid 87' factory I-6 with automatic and 4wheel drive. Previous owner hacked it up some but I'm confident in rebuilding it. I now have a parts MJ that is a 92' for the majority of the parts I need to swap over. I have a feeling I'll be doing alot of searching around on this forum since I am new to having a Comanche. Steve, in Western New York. 576819_10150647764977076_2125440642_n.jp488075_10150944340052076_1547468975_n.jp562851_10150944338852076_855631237_n.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

KyShc4O.jpgFiL5dTU.jpgyQ4BOdK.jpgtJv0xDh.jpgmbOTmIs.jpgjcgxbs2.jpg03Zj96s.jpgsf8gqr0.jpgAs far as the build date on the 92. I am not sure as the usual place I check it for has been replaced. The drivers door. But I was able to make some more progress on the Comanche . Removed all the glass and dash and a few other things. Got ahold of my old Rubicon's factory wheels. Sprayed the chassis and interior wit SEM Rustshield. Love the the way it lays out. PXIPZXY.jpg542312_10150977466937076_259817860_n.jpg?dl=1

hxyvfNI.jpgSprayed her with epoxy , followed by P.P.G. primer so I can do any needed bodywork. The 92'bubRFjC.jpgnAqvZoF.jpgTNy61F4.jpg is an auto. Once I have the 87' built . Everything left from the 92 will be for sale. And I am willing to ship any small items.

• 2 years later...

Time for a long and overdue update. It has been awhile since I have posted anything. Although, I have slowly been working on my comanche, when I have the time. I finished the body work and painted with hot rod customs flatz olive drab green. I have a new fuel tank that I painted, and rebuilt the sending unit on. Found a good tilt column shift steering column at daveysjeeps. Mounted a good set of used 285's on a cheap set of Moab rubicon rims. It now runs and drives. Near future plans are to finish the interior, install a rustys lift and hopefully a set of TJ rubicon Dana 44's if I can find a pair reasonably priced.

Also, I do have some extra parts around such as tailgates, tail lights and a good solid southern shortbed 4.0 fuel tank if anyone needs.

• 2 years later...

Picked up the wrenchs and back to working on my Comanche after it's been on the back burner again for too long. Recently I have done most of Cruiser54's renix upgrades which really seem to help. It runs great. Rough country 4.5" lift going on this weekend along with new brakes and extended brake lines . Pictures to follow, hoping to have this on the road by the end of summer.

freshened up the grounds, new valve cover gasket and valve cover modifications . C101 cleaning for now. Cleaned electrical connections. Removed radiator as preventative maintenance while the front is removed . w3ImC7A.jpg

Lift completed. I am happy with it so far for what it costs. FF Dynamics Radiator ordered. Power doors and dash from a 96' xj 4-door on they're way. Jcr offroad front frame bracing and steering box brace showed up. Future work, complete brakes and lines since they're are none right now. Rebuild and install driveshafts. Radiator/hoses and thermostat. Then on to dash and interior. gi8NDvh.jpgNJB3bZW.jpg

Not sure if it is a 2 or 3 core. I don't see it specified on there website. I bought it direct from them $200 without fans. I plan to upgrade the fans and other things later once I have the mj driving. I needed a radiator and did not trust the $100 napa one.

Picked up some power doors and a clean dash from a 96' Cherokee. When I got my MJ it was spray painted, inside as well, with blue cracked dash. Missing interior, bed and fuel tank. I'm happy to find clean rust free doors and dash. It's not a 97+ but I would rather have my project driving first before I consider that. FF dynamics radiator showed up today. Waiting for hoses, thermostat and pump. 5P9NyIF.jpg

7CylLT7.jpg

F7XUWFS.jpg

d9v6UWy.jpg

77pWvU0.jpg

42gmvjh.jpg

How do you like it? Does it fit ok or did you need to modify anything?

Well made and cools my stroker engine well. Beautiful welds on all the seams. I did have to tweak the lower elbow fitting for the tranny coolant line to clear the frame but no biggie.