"EL Comostache" 87 MJ Daily Driver/ Weekend warrior build.

How do you like it? Does it fit ok or did you need to modify anything?

Well made and cools my stroker engine well. Beautiful welds on all the seams. I did have to tweak the lower elbow fitting for the tranny coolant line to clear the frame but no biggie.

Good to hear. I am doing this mostly as preventative maintenance . Although once I had her running for a small while the radiator was steaming a little on the pass side and looked rotted on the bottom. Bending the lower line is not a big deal. I'm just glad I was able to find a good radiator source here on Comanche club. I agree on the welds, they are a work of art.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Installed the JCR front frame / steering box brace. Got the engine cleaned up and ready for the water pump etc. finishing up the dash wiring, preparing the new doors for paint along with some other parts. vvzx3TF.jpg

SmiZHK2.jpg

Installed a new waterpump, thermostat , hoses, and radiator. I like how the FF Dynamics Radiator fits. Cleaned up inside the frame rails and sprayed it with Bedliner. Finishing up the front clip and then on to painting the new doors, fenders along with other parts. 3NfSgW5.jpg

A8Dh8xE.jpg

XNlu0VC.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Radiator is in. Ran her for the first time in almost two weeks. New pump and thermostat and hoses work good. Looking into open cooling to replace the old hoses. Any one have any upgrade for the tight thermostat housing (hoses being tight together) mocked up the front before paint. zvUJEEG.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Windshield remover tool. The T handle style with wire. Sold at many auto parts stores. It's a little tricky to save a old windshield but mine was already broke when I removed it so it was easy enough. I removed the rear the same way since I was planning on painting the jeep anyhow.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Jeep Driver said:

Who installed your windshield? 

I talked with Safelite yesterday for mine and they say it won't fit with the rubber. 

Had a local small company I deal with do it. He has done a few newer ones on Comanches over the years. Many reasons why I deal with the smaller privately owned  companies. He also installed the rear free of charge using the 30 year old seal I had for it. I am happy with the result for the two hundred it costs to do it all out the door.

Skipped the bodywork on the tailgate because of the time of year and knowing I will not be driving it in the western New York winter. Sprayed it quick to match but it was originally black. So I heated up and removed the JEEP decals on the tailgate after paint. I like the look. CjWo38r.jpg

Maiden Voyage! She is road worthy for the first time in long time! Looking forward to the next stages of my build. *drivers side headlight was out. Replaced both so they match for now. Finishing up the interior is next. A lot of things I figured wouldn't work do, including fuel gauge and horn and all gauges except alternator which charges at 14+. uyUFGLB.jpgS8JLnUU.jpgkiF7R8L.jpg

Future plans include but not limited to.

-warn m8000

-lights of some sort for front and rear

-Dirtbound rear bumper, most likely DIY

-finish interior

-8.8 ford or dana44 rear

-decide to build a dana30 or swap

-upgrade the steering or oversteer/highsteer

-tint, radio, speakers, remote start/keyless entry

-long arm front suspension...much smoother ride

-maybe a visor if I can find one

- Not driving in the salt ridden roads of Western New York.

-who knows, it never ends. Just real happy to finally drive her.

52 minutes ago, DesertRat1991 said:

What's the story behind the '92 that gave up it's life for this project?  Why not start your build with that truck?   More complete and much rarer than the '87, and still looked in pretty good shape. Just curious.

I painted the 92' and sold it. Put a flat bed on it. It still lives local. I searched around for parts rather than hack up the rotted 92'. 

• 1 month later...

Long overdue update since it's hunting season here in western New York.

Warn m8000 installed behind the ARB Bumper. Noticed the ball joints on my $50 Craigslist axle were worn. Upgraded to alloy USA ball joints. While doing that noticed the tie rod and draglink were worn. Track bar is new, but plan to upgrade to adjustable . I installed a new draglink, end, and tie rod with end that is for the 95' grand Cherokee v8 ZJ. Fits great with no issues. Toolbox installed, working on the interior next . I don't have much drive time before the salt drops .

Made a new friend locally who is a veteran Comanche Club member. Bought many much needed parts and a 90' sport truck 4.0l HO swapped 4x4 truck off him that is very solid from Florida. Pictures and build of that to follow. 

Also, my custom plate arrived 👍. 8lmHjpo.jpg2UzYX2C.jpge18zueC.jpgand the wimpy old one. quxRLFI.jpg7LjOgfH.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2017 at 7:17 PM, SteveO said:

Made a new friend locally who is a veteran Comanche Club member. Bought many much needed parts and a 90' sport truck 4.0l HO swapped 4x4 truck off him that is very solid from Florida.

Would this new friend possibly have Bob as a first name? Aka as Buffalo Bob?