1991 XJ Steering Column into 1990 MJ

I have 1990 MJ, short bed, base model (says Sport Truck) on the side. Anyway, my column/ignition switch is totally screwed up. Unable to to turn key to Lock or Accessory, was done before I bought it :(  My question; will a tilt column from a 1991 XJ fit into a 1990 MJ?  I got a package deal on the column, tight, includes steering shaft and gear box, coupler and firewall gasket/grommet---and has 2 keys with it (paid $100 for all).  Many many thanks in advance and Happy Trails everyone----PapaBear69 is outta here :)

Do you have cruise and/or intermittent wipers on your old column? Depending on how the new XJ column is configured you may have to swap in the multifunction switch and stalk from the old column for these features to work on the new column.

Not sure what the (new) column has on it (cruise, interm' wipers etc...) but my old one only has the wipers/mist and high beam switch. If the new one has all the bells and whistles on it (cruise and whatever), guess I'll leave the wiring on it----will give me another project to work on, LOL :)   I did finish the 2 cup cupholder, mounted it between the seat and mini console. Turned out somewhat OK.  Can put a small drink or can in driver's side but any size drink in the passenger side.  Mounted two universal plastic cupholders to the dash, one on either side of the heater controls---can put any size drink in them :)  If I can figure out how to post some pics, I have a few of before, during and after pics of what I have done so far :)

I swapped a 92 XJ auto column with tilt and intermittent wipers into my 88 MJ (5spd, non tilt, std wipers).

All I had to do was add the box for intermittent, and disable the auto's shift interlock.

The IGN switch may or may not seem like it is different ... If it does, just flip the blue and black IGN switch plugs around and then upside down. You'll know what I mean if you see the need.

Not sure if it happened in 92 or 91 but the IGN switch was turned around in that time, same connectors, different orientation. Everything else was a simple plug and play.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Papa Mel felt pretty dumb a bit ago. I wasn't doing anything, so I thought would I pull out the old column (can't pick up the new one until 6pm, 4pm here now). I unbolted one bolt under the hood at the uppermost swivel on the column shaft. Inside the cab I took off the lower trim panel, the 2 nuts for the column and the 4 bolts for the bracket under the column and unplugged all the wiring connectors. After about an hour of pulling, grunting and spewing forth a few words I didn't even know I knew----the column was not coming out, stuck in there like it was welded. I started looking around, just knew I was overlooking something that was simple.  If I could have raised my leg up far enough without getting a cramp in it, I would have kicked myself in the butt.  I removed the padding around the column (under the dash) and lo and behold----I somehow missed the 2 bolts holding the column to the firewall. Removed them, column came right on out. What should have only taken about 20-30 minutes------took about an hour and 20 minutes. Dumb--dumb--dumb, but at least when I get the new column----it should be a breeze going back together :)  Been ages since I last did a column swap, put a tilt column in my '65 Impala SS way back when I was 17 or so (wish I still had it).

OK, need a little bit more help on this swap. Got the new column, laid it beside the old one.  First thing I noticed, new one has a long cable on it (assuming it had something to do with coming from an automatic (mine is a 4 speed manual) secondly, noticed an intermittent wiper box (old one does not have this option), lastly, noticed a short wire with a flat 2 prong blade connector (no idea what that is for).  

#1-Can I just do away with the trans' cable---or do I have to take the column apart and remove everything that is connected to it?

#2-If I plug the wiper connector to the wiring coming from the intermittent box, will I have intermittent wipers?

#3-I'm at a loss on what to do with the little flat connector.

Further Note; looks like I lucked out, ignition switch and dimmer switch are in the same position as the old column :)

I can take some pics tomorrow and post them so you can see the difference and what I am talking/asking about.  Any help will greatly help me out, many many thanks in advance, Papa Mel :)

Happy Trails everyone :)

Got the the tilt column in, everything works :)  Only have one slight problem----the horn will honk with the key in the Accessory/ OFF/ or ON positions. Still trying to figure that one out.  My truck has a standard trans, the column is a tilt from an automatic. I removed the trans linkage rod, the key would not work.  Replaced the trans cable, everything works.  Left the cable on it and routed it along the driver's side of the console and under the seat (out of sight, out of mind) it works for me, LOL :) As for the cruise control plug, I left it on and taped the end and zip-tied under the dash. Truck now has intermittent wipers, first time since it came off the line in late 1989, LOL :)

Woo-Hoo, got the "honker" fixed.  Everything else works as it should; turn signals, hazard flasher, intermittent wipers, dimmer switch, tilt and ignition switch :)  All that's left to do is finding a horn button cover, column was complete except for that. This ol' fella is wore out, time to hit the shower and off to bed, LOL :)

Many thanks to all that helped me along on this little project :)  Next time, I need to remember to dig a bit deeper in the forums here---tons of great info and ideas :)

Happy Trails everyone, Papa Mel :)

Still trying to figure out something on the tilt column; as long as the trans' cable is connected to the column, everything works. If I remove it from the end of the linkage rod, the rod end comes out past the column cover and the ignition stays in the locked position. Do I have to take the column apart to remove everything that is related to the cable (linkage rods ect...) or is there a simpler way of doing it, or am I just overlooking something here?  By the way, pulled the bench seat out and took it totally apart, fixed the slider cable (used 400# pull steel wire, bought in the hardware dept' of Whacko-Mart, $4 per 50' roll) added some memory foam (4 layers) to the seat, appled that using carpet tape between layers, re-installed the seat cover. For the cutout for the shifter, I used a piece of the above mentiond wire inside the bottom of the front pockets, used zip ties to secure into the cover, then zip tied it to the bottom of the seat cushion. When I was done with it, looks like a form fit seat cover. No more puckers or sliding around, and the seat feels 100% better under the buns---plus it added a lot more support. Will add some pics later when it stops raining :)

Ok, for the trans interlock cable, can't remember if I had to tear into the column to disable mine ... Did when changing the lock cylinder. Seem to remember I just had to remove the cable and flip something around to hold the locking arm in place. May have bee the orientation of the spring in it so it held down instead of up. Seem to remember I got at it from below the tilt so no disassembly of the column I suspect. Follow the cable, it goes into a rod/plastic rod with a spring inside. Again trying to remember 2yrs ago with a mind that barely remembers last week these days.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk