stuck in 4wd?

Howdy, i just bought an 86 4wdrive Jeep Comanche. it seems to be stuck in 4w drive its a stick shift although the 4w drive lever is in 2h not 4l N or 4h but my 4w drive light is on and it defenitly feels like its in 4w drive when taking sharp turns. I fear this may lead to harming the drive shaft if anyone knows what to do with this issue let me know thanks, SOV

if the lever is correct your not in 4wd. It is a physical shifting on transfer case. however that does not mean your front axle is free moving and still engaged turning the front drive shaft. I have never had this happen, however 1st steps would to check the vacuum lines engage that shift motor on the front axle. stuck in lock position.

More should chime in to give better information.

Having the CAD permanently locked won't cause you to stick in 4x4.

If the lever moves around and doesn't seem to grab specific spots, probably the linkage has failed. You should still be able to crawl under the truck and shift the lever on the transfer case itself.

Lever itself may need adjustment. If it hits the shifter opening before disingaging it won't come out of 4wd. Go underneath and see if you can move the lever on the Tcase into 2wd it should only have to move a little bit.

The adjust to suit. The adjuster on the linkage is probably rusted up though.

And, shift it the correct way:

Here's how the factory suggests you shift the transfer case and I've been doing this since these things were new and I worked at the dealership. Quoted from the owner's manual. The suggestions in CAPS are mine. 

"To engage, shift the transfer case lever from 2H to 4H while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed". I LET OFF THE GAS, THROW THE LEVER, TAP THE GAS AND LET OFF.

4L position: " To engage, slow the vehicle to 2-3 MPH , shift the transmission to Neutral, then shift the transfer lever to the right and pull firmly rearward to 4L". 

TO SHIFT OUT OF 4L, SHIFT THE TRANSMISSION INTO NEUTRAL WITH THE VEHICLE STOPPED, SHIFT THE TRANSFER CASE LEVER TO 2H, THEN THE TRANS TO D IF YOU HAVE AN AUTOMATIC, OR INTO FIRST GEAR WITH A MANUAL, AND CONTINUE ON.

Revised 11/20/2014