97 t-case question

I'm a few parts away from doing an ax15 swap on my 88, i got a trans and t-case out of a 97 xj. This may be a stupid question because i haven't had a chance to crawl under and look myself, but do i need to modify or get any parts for the newer t-case to work, since the 97 one is so much newer? thanks in advance, also what is the best place to get the pilot bushing for the swap?

To do this swap, I guess you are going from a BA10 to the AX15, you will need the cross member and the t-case shift linkage.

The cross member is diff from the BA to AX.

Also, (I have been told on this forum) the shift linkage is also diff.  I don't know if it is because of the BA/AX change, or a change in the t-case in later years.

Rockauto sells the bushings.  You should get one for a 74 CJ5 with a 304 V8. 

There are several write ups on CC about the BA10 to AX15 conversion.

when i got the transmission and t-case, i got the cross member, shifter, i think the linkage for the t case and slave cylinder as well, all I'm missing is the pilot bushing (probably advanced auto), i just wanted to check to see if i needed anything else to do the swap since its my daily driver i can't have it be out of commission because i forgot a part. I've seen a few of the writeups just want to find the best write up for it. 

I swapped a '98 AW4/231 combo into my '91 to convert it to 4wd. In my case the speedo connected and worked just fine but mine is an OBD so...? My '91 rear drive shaft slip yoke also worked fine with the '98 231 but of course I did not try it with a 242. The year and or tranny differences may well change the info but this was correct for mine.

Cable drive and electronic speedo drive are compatible. They can be swapped without worry. In fact, 91's used the cable drive unit to run and electronic sensor that threaded onto it, later years used the newer all in one sensor. After 02 things become incompatible (the hall effect VSS came into play)

The 97's external slip is the only real issue to worry about. Swapping the main shaft won't work unless you also add the internal needle bearings to the cluster assembly (the later shaft uses an oil film bearing - meaning they simply deleted the needle bearing and resized the main accordingly) and add the complete older tail housing (from main case half back).

In 94 the internal gear pitches changed so no new gears will not mesh with older gears. The input gear IS compatible as they never changed that (just have to worry about spline counts).

Really, it just simpler to get the newer yoke and bellows and slap it on your driveshaft. Make the case an easy bolt in swap. Shift linkage should bolt right up no issues but due to trans lengths you may need a new adjuster rod, doubtful, I have only ever seen two linkages ... 231, and 242 in an XJ. Changing to the Boostwerks direct linkage will eliminate the issue altogether.

i hadnt planned on swapping anything in the case but the input shaft so the original t-case would fit the ax15, i figured that would save me some money and time . I wasnt sure if that would even work thats why i wanted to check here first to see if someone had done it.  also thanks Rockfrog for the information