Acceleration sputter/missing

88 4.0 auto.  Recently did a lot of cleaning like the TPS, IAC, tightened manifold, and new grounds.  Now it won't accelerate smoothly almost like the ignition is missing or there's a cylinder missing.  It idles fine, it just wavers a bit, and it will rev up when stationary.  Once in drive it will accelerate fine to about 2000 rpm and then starts to miss.  It accelerates eventually but it doesn't rev like it should.  I played around with the distributor, got a little better but did not solve anything.  Mash the gas pedal and it will lul and then surge and miss.  Plugs, wires, cap, rotor are relatively new.

Fuel seems to work just fine, I can even smell a little too much fuel at the exhaust. 

Tested TPS again, fully open it should read little less than 4.8 and I get 4.3 and then closed it should be above 200 milivolts, I have 800.  That's according to my book.  Then I remember reading somewhere closed it should be 8.4, mine was set to 8.6, i think I played around to see what idled better and 8.6 was better, so not quite to spec but the TPS is within in working range.

The CPS, checked the resistance and it was giving me numbers all across the meter options, the book said it should read nothing at all or just a 1 indicating its fully open, yes? 

• 2 weeks later...

Reset the timing a few times now, advanced and retarded it multiple times with plenty of back firing.  It seems to like the rotor well in front of the #1 terminal in which case it revs and idles pretty good.  But, once on the road past 2500 rpms it still sputters and hesitates.  The thing, there is no notch on the crank wheel.  All I have are two 1/2 inch holes; its guess work to find true 0. 

Is it really that sensitive to where a single degree can mean a big difference?

Gave up for a few days and then went back in and found the damn notch on the crank wheel.  Was pretty hard to spot.  Once I found it I was able to set the timing right.  Runs good enough now, just a weird idle that it's always had.  9 times out of 10 its the simpilest thing that gets me.