ba10/5 help

I've had a few BA's that would puke oil out of the vent tube, at highway speeds, when filled up to the fill plug

(btw, you'll have to make, or buy the 4 sided socket to remove these plugs).

I extended the vent hose up to the firewall, and never had the puking problem again.

Keeping fresh gear oil in my old BA was probably the only thing that kept it alive.

YMMV, but for me, the fastest way to change the fluid was:

park over drip pan, on flat level driveway

pull the bottom plug,

as it drains, pull the upper plug (fill plug).

Replace the lower plug,

pull the shifter (put it in neutral, and pull the 3 retainer screws, I think they were 10mm).

Pour new gear oil into shifter opening,

stop as it starts to come out of fill hole.

I guess you could get some kind of pressurized oil fill plunger-thing, and use the fill hole as intended,

but I would end up laying flat on my back, trying to squeeze gear oil out of 1 qt containers,

getting 1/2 of it on my crossmember, driveway, face, running down my arm, under my shirt, etc. :doh:

Pulling the shifter was much better for me. :thumbsup:

puke out of vent? never hear about it :nuts: now its make sense to call ba 10/5 puke :rotfl2:

never happened to me but the vent hose is extended, I think.

thats oretty good idea to pour oil in shifting hole than the filler plug. :thumbsup:

I guess you could get some kind of pressurized oil fill plunger-thing, and use the fill hole as intended,

but I would end up laying flat on my back, trying to squeeze gear oil out of 1 qt containers,

getting 1/2 of it on my crossmember, driveway, face, running down my arm, under my shirt, etc. :doh:

happened same with me too. :doh:

puke out of vent? never hear about it :nuts: now its make sense to call ba 10/5 puke :rotfl2:

never happened to me but the vent hose is extended, I think.

thats oretty good idea to pour oil in shifting hole than the filler plug. :thumbsup:

happened same with me too. :doh:

I fill mine from under the hood ! I took a 5 ft piece of 1/2 cpvc and put a 90 degree elbow on the transmission end with a 1 1/2 stub out of the 90 elbow. And I added a pc of hose and small funnel up top. I use a drain pan under the bottom to catch any over flow.

The cpvc will go in by firewall and will flex enough to go into the trans. Save it for the next time and save on greasy arm pits. Plug size is 5/16 make a wrench from keystock from the hardware or buy a 5/16 external plug socket, Got mine for $8.00 from snap on.

• 3 years later...

I extended the vent hose up to the firewall, and never had the puking problem again.

Keeping fresh gear oil in my old BA was probably the only thing that kept it alive.

Do you have any photos of how you extended the vent hose? That sounds like a good maintenance item for BA10/5 owners...

• 3 months later...

Sorry for the late reply, I just saw the question,

no I don't have any pics, but I just got some of the same size hose as the factory vent (3/8"? possibly 5/16") and ran the hose end to a higher location.Up high on the firewall is a good spot, another place is under the bed rail in the back.

I've capped the hose with those little ends that look like they should close when you go under water, but don't ,

or with some type of open filter, or a fuel filter.