ballast resistor

You might need to ask them. I can't say for sure if they're using the same colors and what-not. But if it makes you feel any better, the resistor is technically not needed to run the truck. It was added in 1988 as a means to quiet the pump noise.

thanks to mr wild and mr pete. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

the simple version hook up looks like one side goes to or/bl wire going to fuel pump.

the other side goes to a10, green wire of the ecu.

i'll check, when rain permits, to see the wire colors.

i couldn't find it in great lakes xj fsm.

i will check again though. still can't

also, the next time i talk to ron francis i'll ask them for back up info.

i've got this picture of turning the key, and a mushroom cloud goes up from the truck. :ack:

the wiring is going well. i'm not using a headlight switch, i am using toggle switches, so wiring the lights up is the next brain freeze. :drool: :rotf: :drool: :rotf: :drool: :rotf:

When all is said and done, be sure to share the details of how you ordered, cost, and what not so that other guys with desperate wiring situations can see what it'll take to redo everything. I'm sure you're taking LOTS of pictures, yes?

thanks to mr wild and mr pete. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

the simple version hook up looks like one side goes to or/bl wire going to fuel pump.

Yeah, that's the simple version. But ... it ain't that simple.

There's a bypass involved. The ballast resistor is in the circuit when the engine is running, and when the key is first turned on, to run the fuel pump and bring the system up to pressure. When the key is turrned to START, the ballast resistor is bypassed and a more or less parallel circuit sends full 12 volts to the fuel pump during starting. Once you release the key and it's back in the RUN position, the bypass is de-energized and the circuit again goes through the ballast resistor.

There's a bypass involved. The ballast resistor is in the circuit when the engine is running, and when the key is first turned on, to run the fuel pump and bring the system up to pressure. When the key is turrned to START, the ballast resistor is bypassed and a more or less parallel circuit sends full 12 volts to the fuel pump during starting. Once you release the key and it's back in the RUN position, the bypass is de-energized and the circuit again goes through the ballast resistor.

Yeah some sort of bypass for sure.. And like you said I'm pretty certain the resistor runs parallel to the relay, but I think the resistor isnt ever by-passed, but always flowing power to pump, I think its the start-up 12 volts that switches off leaving the resistor flowing from ECU power source. But thats just what I get from crossing alot of years wiring diagrams, and I'm still not 100% certain thats the way it works out..

Yeah some sort of bypass for sure.. And like you said I'm pretty certain the resistor runs parallel to the relay, but I think the resistor isnt ever by-passed, but always flowing power to pump, I think its the start-up 12 volts that switches off leaving the resistor flowing from ECU power source. But thats just what I get from crossing alot of years wiring diagrams, and I'm still not 100% certain thats the way it works out..

Your right JT :bowdown:

I just went back and looked up B12 splice{Page 9} (14OR/BK) and that comes from the starter Relay, forcing the full 12v to the pump, at the B1 splice, then letting the ballast resistor run the pump after the start up, from the Fuel Pump Relay.

Your right JT :bowdown:

I just went back and looked up B12 splice{Page 9} (14OR/BK) and that comes from the starter Relay, forcing the full 12v to the pump, at the B1 splice, then letting the ballast resistor run the pump after the start up, from the Fuel Pump Relay.

OK.. That makes better sense. so the fuel pump relay is always flowing through the resistor (when ecu is giving fuel pump relay a ground), and the pump gets its start up juice basically from the ignition switch switching the starter relay... correct???

Did you add that page to your photobucket?