1992: Stacy - Clutch Replacement 6/08

March 15, 2013

I picked up a 1992 Comanche. It has the 4.0 HO, AX-15, 30/35, 4wd, AC, PB, PS, and after market head unit. As far as I can tell, the truck has generally been untouched, besides the PO spray painting the lower 1/4 area (if you see youll understand what i mean) and putting silicone around the holes in the floor board and gluing aluminum trays to it. She has just under 185K miles on her.

She needs the rust fixed and needs a head gasket other than that she seems to be in good shape.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rely- you if and when I decide to get rid of it I'll let you know. And I think patch panels will do the trick I don't think the whole beds dead.

87manche- were you really? Where are you located at?

Knicklehead- let me know what you find out, I won't be able to do anything till the first week of May.

I'm near akron area. I don't mind looking aways for something i want lol.

Lol me too. I wish people didnt want so much for their POS rusted out ohio Jeeps lol I'm looking for a tailgate right now. mines got a huge dint in it

Guy in indiana has a whole bed not to bad of shape ill get his info if u want

Yeah I almost bought his whole Mj actually if its the one I'm thinking of. But I really don't think that my bed's really that bad. But I mean if i could pick it up for like $200 with a tail gate then it maybe worth it

Edit: this one? http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/3607646174.html

I got my complete replacement bed from the jy (w/ tailgate, flares, wiring harness) for a little over $200. It certainly made for an easy fix and mine was NOWHERE near as bad as yours is rust-wise. Keep that option in mind.

Also ty on recognizing my dibs :bowdown:

I got my complete replacement bed from the jy (w/ tailgate, flares, wiring harness) for a little over $200. It certainly made for an easy fix and mine was NOWHERE near as bad as yours is rust-wise. Keep that option in mind.

Also ty on recognizing my dibs :bowdown:

Well I'm live in Dayton Ohio and anything Ive seen in JY are way worse than this in general, and Ive actually never seen a Comanche in a JY around here. But a buddy of mine is working on trying to get me some of the patch panels they use for insurance work for cheap so we'll see what he comes up with.

I go to school up here at WKU and in general the vehicles here so much more rust free down here.. :fs1:  Mine is pretty normal rust wise from the ones Ive seen

But from what I'm reading its not cost effective to try and mate the Ax15 in my 92 to the 98 4.0 I have in my Cherokee.  Man would I love to keep this manual, the 5 minutes I have driven it make me what to keep it so badly! :driving:

I'm still trying to decide what to do, whether to do the 98+ swap or just sell my Cherokee. I got offered 3000 cash the other day, but I had to turn it down as its my only way to get home. Hahaha

Focus on fixing all the rust first then make the decision about doing a swap.

Well if I do the swap I have to do it all by mid August because I would then have to drive it to school. The rust I can fix pretty fairly quickly, one of my buddies back home said he's working on getting me patch panels for the bed that they for insurance work (idk if they even have that though anymore) and hes getting me floor pans and rockers. although I may do the 2x4x3/8 steel tubing for the rockers though. If he can't get patch panels and I can't find a bed by May then I am going to try my hand at fixing it. All in all I'm not that worried about the rust. But I need to figure out my plan before May so I can start getting parts and such.

But on the topic of the swap, the reasons I want to do are the 4.0 in the manche needs a head gasket and I don't want to fix it and then later decide to do the swap. Theres a lot of parts on the cherokee I want to reperpous into the comanche, and I wouldnt have a problem with that, Ive just don't really know in what direction to go.

Well the more I really thing about it I just may just got with a 2/3" lift on the Comanche and sell Cherokee out right. But I would really like to lift her 5" or so. and put my 8.25 in her rear or a 8.8. I'm just not sure about any of it right now

Edit: Well I think Ive made up my mind, I'm going to sell my Cherokee  and rebuild the engine, fix the rust and paint her and drive her as is for a while. Then I'm going big and doing it right from the start. Probably 8" long arms and 3link and 35s then lots of armor and then run 'er at Moab

• 2 weeks later...

So were learning photoshop in class right now and I got a little ahead.. :idea:  So I had some quick fun and changed the color of my Jeep....this is my first time ever using it so don't judge haha

What it looks right now:

Colored:

Gray with black on the bed for the black bed liner I'm going to add.

• 3 weeks later...

Behind you 100% on the paint scheme.  I had an 88 cherokee chief for a couple years, (actually sold it twice and bought it back after wrecks) because it was too pretty to end up junked.  The decals were still available as of 2 years ago.  All the cherokee chief and pinstripes are not painted on, though that would be even better if you could swing it.

Behind you 100% on the paint scheme.  I had an 88 cherokee chief for a couple years, (actually sold it twice and bought it back after wrecks) because it was too pretty to end up junked.  The decals were still available as of 2 years ago.  All the cherokee chief and pinstripes are not painted on, though that would be even better if you could swing it.

I think I'm just going to paint the black on, keep the red and touch it up, then paint the black on.

UPDATE:

I'm going to run these:

http://www.amazon.com/Monroe-58497-Sensa-Trac-Adjusting-Absorber/dp/B0012X238G (cheaper on Rockauto)

And tbird coils in the front of my mj (4.5" lift, I'm running them in my xj right now)

So with those too, I should be close to level with minimal to no rake.

And I'm going to flush and refill my ax15 with this:

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Line-50304-Manual-Transmission/dp/B000CPCBEQ (cheapest place to get it)

I'm still on the fence as to whether of not I should do the 98 swap with my xj.

• 2 weeks later...