Daughter #1 off to Fort Lewis

HOrnbrod

Well, just got back from putting my daughter on a plane headed for Fort Lewis for five weeks of intensive ROTC training. Orienteering, land navigation, PT, leadership, etc. all the good stuff she needs to be a good Army nurse. She's in a new accelerated Army program so she can get all her military requirements done in her first two years, then concentrate entirely on her academics for her last two years in college before commissioning. The Army needs nurses badly.

Needless to say she's very nervous about it, but not as nervous as her Mama.

Just tell her to make her every move like it has a purpose... The pt isnt so bad but the learning how to stand perfectly still hours at a time sucks more then it sounds like it does.. If she goes in with the right mental attitude she will be a leader quick... It takes strict self discipline and being quick in mind and body to be the one standing in front of your platoon.

Tell her good luck and Godspeed.

Just tell her to make her every move like it has a purpose... The pt isnt so bad but the learning how to stand perfectly still hours at a time sucks more then it sounds like it does.. If she goes in with the right mental attitude she will be a leader quick... It takes strict self discipline and being quick in mind and body to be the one standing in front of your platoon.

Tell her good luck and Godspeed.

Thanks JT. Her flight was delayed an hour out of here, but she just called from DFW and barely made her connection to Seattle. Her PT is outstanding, she maxes out everything. It's the tactics, op orders, and other military stuff she really hasn't had enough time to learn well yet. She's an MS3 on paper which your not supposed to be until two Ft Lewis summer training camps, and this is her first. But she's tough, like her Mama. :D

Fort Lewis in the summer time.... That brings back memories. I used to go around the ROTC training areas blowing up dud grenade simulators and other fun stuff :D

Tell your daughter THANKS for joining from an old retired Army guy!!

Fort Lewis in the summer time.... That brings back memories. I used to go around the ROTC training areas blowing up dud grenade simulators and other fun stuff :D

LOL. Yeah, I'm an old retarded, errr retired Navy guy, and daughter #2 starts USAF ROTC next semester at 'Bama U in Tuscaloosa. Neither one of them wanted to be a squid. :D

LOL. Yeah, I'm an old retarded, errr retired Navy guy, and daughter #2 starts USAF ROTC next semester at 'Bama U in Tuscaloosa. Neither one of them wanted to be a squid. :D

Can you blame them for not wanting to spend all that time out at sea :roll:

Ive always heard the term"seamen"... :dunno:

:laughin:

Not really Pat. But time at sea depends on what your NEC (MOS) is. Mine toward the end was an 1144, Terrier/Tartar SAMs. Eight years at sea, two years ashore, and ashore was really only at a Naval Weapons Station somewhere. This sucked.

The daughters however, will be Nursing (Army) and Aerospace Engineering (USAF) officers. Very little sea duty if any if they were in similar fields under a USN ROTC scholarship. Daughter #2 spent a month last summer at the Naval Academy prep school at Annapolis (like a plebe boot camp) and excelled, and was offered a USNA scholarship. But both kids wanted to stay closer to home, so they went w. full ride ROTC programs. The closest Naval ROTC was at Auburn, unacceptable for Tide fans. :D

Anyhow, I'm very proud of both of them, although I draw the line at saluting them. :cheers:

Ive always heard the term"seamen"... :dunno:

You're a sick man JT........... 8) :cheers: 8)

• 2 weeks later...
The daughters however, will be Nursing (Army) and Aerospace Engineering (USAF) officers. Very little sea duty if any if they were in similar fields under a USN ROTC scholarship. Daughter #2 spent a month last summer at the Naval Academy prep school at Annapolis (like a plebe boot camp) and excelled, and was offered a USNA scholarship. But both kids wanted to stay closer to home, so they went w. full ride ROTC programs. The closest Naval ROTC was at Auburn, unacceptable for Tide fans. :D

Anyhow, I'm very proud of both of them, although I draw the line at saluting them. :cheers:

A SALUTE to both daughters hornbrod. I also know where ya are coming from, my son is a Navy Medic and studying to get a degree, become an officer, and attend Navy Med School. I feel it would be rather funny to call my son "Sir".....

Hey fellow Sailor! I retired too, 7 years ago. My younger sister went USAF in a nursing program. She signed up sort of late in life and had a bit of trouble with the PT but she got up to speed...

But, currently she is on a deployment bubble, just waiting to hear when...

Godd luck with your girls... My own is starting college this fall and has no interest in military service (and has some minor helath issues anyway...).

Hey fellow Sailor! I retired too, 7 years ago. My younger sister went USAF in a nursing program. She signed up sort of late in life and had a bit of trouble with the PT but she got up to speed...

But, currently she is on a deployment bubble, just waiting to hear when...

Godd luck with your girls... My own is starting college this fall and has no interest in military service (and has some minor helath issues anyway...).

Thanks shipmate. #1 is about half way through now, and the few times they let her call she reports she is doing well. She flew thru all the PT tests but had problems with the night navigation, which a nurse really needs. :nuts: Next week they will be deployed in the field, practicing leadership skills and living like animals. But that's supposed to be good for team bonding I guess. :D