Another quick brake question

Just picked up a 93 2 door XJ for a buddy, with a fuel delivery problem (99% it's the pump) for $300

2.5/Ax-5/231/D30/8.25

Problem is, when it was parked at the guy's house apparently it got pushed with the e-brake on, and after that it would only roll backwards. I moved the adjuster all the way back and got the wheel to turn, but the drum was pretty bad, and there were grooves etched into the back of the pads. The drum looked awfully familiar.

My main question is...are 8.25 drums and the smaller(9inch) D35 drums the same? Or do they just look similar?

All the 9" drums are the same. They are 9" x 2-1/2". Chrysler started that in (I think) 1990. The AMC rear drums were mostly 10" x 1-3/4", except for the heavy duty axles with 10" x 2-1/2" drums.

All the 9" drums are the same. They are 9" x 2-1/2". Chrysler started that in (I think) 1990. The AMC rear drums were mostly 10" x 1-3/4", except for the heavy duty axles with 10" x 2-1/2" drums.

So did that mean the 87-89 models had more stopping power out back? Sorry, complete brake noob here. :cheers:

And not to take this far off topic...

But I've been wanting to get some higher quality brake pads up front and was looking at Hawk pads and other good ones. However, they all state 90+ cherokee/comanche. I'm running an 88....

What is the differences up front that justify that? Is it an easy swap? Sorry for all the questions, but I've never owned any Jeep newer than the '88 I've got now and the '87 I had.

I believe the are some years where they use a single piece rotor, and some years where they used a 2 part rotor (made in 2 parts, then welded together). I also believe the 2 kinds of rotors require different material brake pads.

Not really sure, though. Just vaguely recall reading something along those lines.

I believe the are some years where they use a single piece rotor, and some years where they used a 2 part rotor (made in 2 parts, then welded together). I also believe the 2 kinds of rotors require different material brake pads.

Not really sure, though. Just vaguely recall reading something along those lines.

i think he is talking drum brakes rather than discs :brows:

But I've been wanting to get some higher quality brake pads up front and was looking at Hawk pads and other good ones. However, they all state 90+ cherokee/comanche. I'm running an 88....

What is the differences up front that justify that? Is it an easy swap? Sorry for all the questions, but I've never owned any Jeep newer than the '88 I've got now and the '87 I had.

Sounds like front brakes to me. :D

i think he is talking drum brakes rather than discs :brows:

Not him but him...

So did that mean the 87-89 models had more stopping power out back? Sorry, complete brake noob here. cheers

So did that mean the 87-89 models had more stopping power out back? Sorry, complete brake noob here.

You mean '86 thru '89.

I'm sure someone will take issue with me, but I'd say "Yes." However, keep in mind that there were two versions of the 10" brakes. The standard rear brakes were 10" x 1-3/4". These were found on most XJs and MJs with the Dana 35 rear axle. These shoes and drums are narrower that the 9" x 2-1/2" Chrysler brakes, but putting the shoes farther out increases their stopping capability. I rate these about equal to the 9" Mopar brakes.

The vehicles with the AMC 20 and Dana 44 rear axles, and reportedly a few with the Dana 35, got rear brakes with 10" x 2-1/2" drums. The braking with this setup is far superior to the dinky Chrysler brakes. And whether you're doing the narrow 10" brakes or the wide ones -- they are easier to work on than the Chysler brakes.