flywheel question

Renix vs. HO....

are the flywheels specific to the tranny or the engine? In other words, will a Renix era AX15 work behind an HO (and vica-versa), if you keep the flywheel and CPS the same?

Jeff

The flywheel is specific to the CPS. The Renix CPS won't work with a Chrysler electical system, and the Chrysler CPS won't work in a Renix system. The trigger notches on the flywheels are different between the two types of CPS.

The transmission has no way of knowing what flywheel is on the engine. My '88 is set up with a YJ AX-15 (done by the previous owner -- poorly). Jeep didn't start using that setup in the YJ until '91.

that's kinda what I thought, but....(there's always a but)....on Saturday, Pat (pingpong) and I pulled an AX15 from one of his parts rigs. The XJ was an HO 4.0L, but the tranny had an internal slave, which I thought ended at or around when the HO came out. The CPS on the tranny must be a Chryco because it has a two wire round pigtail on it, and I know the Renix CPS has a flat connector. Seemed to me that it was a Renix era tranny with a Chryco flywheel and CPS, bolted to an HO.

I'm just trying to figure out if I can bolt it up as it came out to the 87 4.0 I have. Would save me from having to buy a new flywheel.

Jeff

BLHTAZ could probably confirm, but as far as I know there are only two flywheels for the 4.0L -- one is Renix, the other is Chrysler. You need the flywheel that matches your ignition/injection/ECU system. The tranny doesn't care.

What may change is what clutch you have to use. I'm not sure about that. I've never had a Renix clutch laid out next to an HO clutch to see if there are any differences.

then so ends my confusion....Pat and I were both thinking that the tranny was an older style that had been swapped in at some point, but obviously it's not. Thanks Pete!

Now off to buy a flywheel......crap......

Jeff

This is going into your '87?

If so, why would you buy a flywheel? There is only one flywheel that'll work with your Renix system, and that's the one that's already in the truck. What are you thinking you have to buy? You can't put in an HO flywheel and then use an HO CPS, because the Renix system won't recognize the signal from the CPS. You *MUST* use a renix flywheel and a Renix CPS -- unless, of course, you want to completely replace the entire ignition/injection system with the HO system.

Just bolt the new tranny to your block. Toss the HO CPS and use your Renix CPS -- the slot in the bellhousing is in the same location.

going from 2.5 to 4.0L.....are the flywheels the same? (I was thinking they aren't, but that's purely a guess on my part :D )

I've got a Renix 4.0L sans the flywheel at the moment.

Jeff

going from 2.5 to 4.0L.....are the flywheels the same? (I was thinking they aren't, but that's purely a guess on my part :D )

I've got a Renix 4.0L sans the flywheel at the moment. Jeff

You gonna swap in the HO harness(s)?

Hey Jeff if you come back down and help with another tranny swap I will give you a flywheel :brows:

Seriously.. I won't need the Turds flywheel after I swap over to an automatic :brows: So as always I will pay it forward if you need it.