exhaust smells rich

My '89 SWB 4.0L 'manche has smelled rich since I purchased it a little over a year ago. However, I wasn't really worried about it until gas hit $4.00/gal. Right now, I'm averaging between 15-17 mpg, which isn't bad considering, but I'm optimistic I can do better since the exhaust smells rich.

Any guidance?

It could be a number of things. Most of the time it's a bad sensor. Someone post up the link to that LUNDG something site that has all the differnt ways to check your sensors and tells you what they do. If you haven't replaced your O2 sensor I'd probably start with that. And 15-17 mpg sounds great to me because I only get 10-12mpg. However I've seen people here get 18-25mpg. Who knows.

It could be a number of things. Most of the time it's a bad sensor. Someone post up the link to that LUNDG something site that has all the differnt ways to check your sensors and tells you what they do. If you haven't replaced your O2 sensor I'd probably start with that. And 15-17 mpg sounds great to me because I only get 10-12mpg. However I've seen people here get 18-25mpg. Who knows.

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Eng ... ostics.htm

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Eng ... ostics.htm

thanks Wildman :thumbsup: