Aftermarket Rims

I'm considering a set of new rims for some virtually new ProComp 31/10.5/15s that I got really cheap. Sticking with the cheap plan I've been looking at some Cragar steel rims at @ $50 each. Probably go with 15X8 and 4" BS, as I've got a 4" lift, so clearance should be okay.

Any opinions on the quality of the rims? Any better suggestions?

I'll probably buy locally, to avoid shipping. Any ORW-type chain stores carry them?

If they are the "soft 8's " I have had two sets and they are fine.

Have you checked locally for some used ones? Maybe you can find them even cheaper!!

CW

Soft 8s is what I was looking at. I'll keep an eye open for used.

I got mine new for $35 Cragar soft 8s 15x8. Just look around.

So far, Summit Racing seems to have the best deal for new. About $38@ and only $12 total shipping if I'm reading it right.

For used, I've looked locally, but nothing on CL and the local Jeep Yonke (yes, there's only one) is never a bargain.

I'd buy them new from summit if I lived in the states. I never have great luck with used rims, they always seem to wind up less than ideal and they're always rusty.

Summit sometimes does promotions on stuff and will offer free shipping or other jazz.

Or if you can find a similar wheel cheaper, go for it.

But basically I'd not bother with used unless you have way more time than money.

I'd buy them new from summit if I lived in the states. I never have great luck with used rims, they always seem to wind up less than ideal and they're always rusty.

Summit sometimes does promotions on stuff and will offer free shipping or other jazz.

Or if you can find a similar wheel cheaper, go for it.

But basically I'd not bother with used unless you have way more time than money.

I'm tending to agree on the used rims. It'll be a couple of days more, but the Cragar Soft 8 397s from Summit are looking like the way to go.

check the tires & wheels classifieds on jeepforum.com, seems like soft 8s and canyons are always available there. might be some close by....

Thanks. I'll take a look.

Edit: I just looked, and there was nothing fresh, but thanks for the tip.

lot of action in that section, you may have to go back a few pages, at least 3-5 days worth until you start checking on a daily basis. Post a WTB ad in there, it will get moved to the "WANTED" section in a day or so, but you may get the attention of a seller. worth a shot..........

Weekend update:

I was just getting ready to pull the trigger on a set of Cragar Soft 8s, and checked CL one last time.

There was an ad for a set of Jeep stock rims, 15X8 with stock BS. Don't know what model they were from, but they look like the black "D" window Uniques, and have a black plastic insert/hub cover with the Jeep logo.

The good news is they also came with BFG 31/10.5s with about 40-50% tread left (tho they are ~6 years old). Total price was $140.

I just mounted them on the MJ and all frame/body clearances look good (though I might end up rubbing on the LCAs when I get going.

So it looks like I'll run these down a bit, and then switch to the ProComps and keep the best BFG as a spare.

Anyone want a set of stock Jeep alloy wheels? :brows:

BTW this is what the tire looked like that I blew down in Baja for the Baja500:

305605566_JMnHE-L.jpg