Anyone ever considered a 4bt?

Guest vzehler

Guest vzehler

I've been flirting with the idea of swapping a 4bt in place of the 4.0? Anyone ever considered it or have a line on an ol' Frito Truck? I've seen it done in Wranglers and Cherokee's, never a Comanche though.

Every 4bt I've came across is priced at a fortune though...

I know a guy who is swapping one into a tj. So far he is in about 2 grand for the motor. He just got a NV4500 trans... not sure what that set him back., but for that price a v-8 crate motor isnt very far out of the price range :nuts:

Diesel jumped in price here again. I'm considering selling my dodge cummins. Now isn't the time for a diesel swap, IMHO. Otherwise it'd be cool.

(It now costs me about $200 to fill the dodge, maybe more. Which gets me about 1000-1200km without towing anything and having the truck totally unloaded. Diesel is going up in price faster than gas too)

Guest vzehler

From what i've read you would get better gas mileage out of the 4bt to the tune of 26-30 miles per gallon. On the other hand you get 18-20 on the 4.0. Just seems to me that you would break even if nothing else... Plus, you could always go veggie too...

I agree though its probably not realistic for me or most because it seems like the swap itself is pretty intensive and not something I feel like tackling. Especially since I only have 96k on the odometer..

Not really on the swap question, but when I bought my 3/4 ton truck I looked at getting a deisel, but there was a 9k difference in price so I got the gas motor, and got made fun of :oops: but that was right after Katrina hit New Orleans, and gas spiked. Fast forward 3yrs and now deisel is almost 5 bucks a gallon, plus the 9k buy in Boy am I glad I got the gas motor.