bench to buckets!

Don't you need the mj bucket brackets if you're going to use XJ buckets?
Yes...although I have heard that you can use the bench brackets, but the passenger side seat will be fixed and not be able to adjust forward & back.

Don't you need the mj bucket brackets if you're going to use XJ buckets?

You need the MJ pedestals for ANY seat you want to put in an MJ -- unless you want to build seat bases.

The nice thing is that if you unbolt the pedestals from the bench seat, you can use them for the buckets. The only thing you lose is the ability to (easily) adjust the passenger side seat forward and back, because with the bench there's no lever on the right side pedestal. If you have some 1/4" or 5/16" round rod and a welder, that can be overcome rather easily.

Anybody have a MJ bench seat you wanna sell after you install buckets????????

Do you care about color? I have one in pretty decent condition. It's been in the basement for awhile, if memory serves (which it may not) I believe it's all vinyl and either red or brown in color.

You need the MJ pedestals for ANY seat you want to put in an MJ -- unless you want to build seat bases.

The nice thing is that if you unbolt the pedestals from the bench seat, you can use them for the buckets. The only thing you lose is the ability to (easily) adjust the passenger side seat forward and back, because with the bench there's no lever on the right side pedestal. If you have some 1/4" or 5/16" round rod and a welder, that can be overcome rather easily.

unfortunately it's not that easy.

you need to drill the MJ bench pedistals off of the ONE seat track each side has. you need two seat tracks so start with xj brackets.

remove pedistals from both

switch pedistals

install.

this includes drilling several rivets and spot welds, and either welding the pedistals on, bolting them on, or both (my choice)

watch out though. if you like your seats at the current height, but just want buckets, you need to use 2 door xj bucket seats, with NON-SWIVEL pedistals. if you use the swivel pedistals, you will gain 3" in seat height and some people would be into the roof then (I'm 6' tall and i like the extra height)

unfortunately it's not that easy.

you need to drill the MJ bench pedistals off of the ONE seat track each side has. you need two seat tracks so start with xj brackets.

remove pedistals from both

switch pedistals

install.

this includes drilling several rivets and spot welds, and either welding the pedistals on, bolting them on, or both (my choice)

watch out though. if you like your seats at the current height, but just want buckets, you need to use 2 door xj bucket seats, with NON-SWIVEL pedistals. if you use the swivel pedistals, you will gain 3" in seat height and some people would be into the roof then (I'm 6' tall and i like the extra height)

Yeppers -- all true. Good point. It was awhile ago I was playing with that and many of the details are a bit ... fuzzy.