Adding air conditioner universal kit?

I need AC because I'm cooking out here! I went to the local JY they looked bad plus the horror of removing all the parts in the freaking hot sun.

I decided to try these guys, I emailed them for a quote on my 87 comanche, seem reasonably price. I got the time to take my time. lol

Anyone here ever use their products?

http://www.jeepair.com/

We have a universal heat and a/c system that works in the comanche.

We actually did the same Jeep here a few months ago. The kit cost

$895.00 plus shipping.

Thanks

Jon

Nowhere on their web site do I see any indication of any air distribution ducts for the interior. Before plunking down nearly a tousand dollars, I think you need more specifics of just what the "complete kit" includes, and what it's going to look like. The old "Factory Air" (aftermarket brand name) kits for the Grand Wagoneers and full-size Cherokees were very functional, but they hung below the dash and took away all the knee space, had NO provision for bringing in outdoor air (100% recirculated, all the time), and were just plain ugly.

My '87 Comanche has an aftermarket setup that was apparently dealer-installed at the time the truck was bought new. It uses the original ductwork, but somehow mates it to the original heater controls (IIRC) to run the A/C. I can't comment on how well it worked, as it has not worked since I bought the truck.

I agree I will asked them for specifics. I don't want some mickey mouse looking setup but if it looks almost factory I would have thought it came with a new distribution box to be install which requires to removing or sitting aside the dash.

JY might be a cheaper route but then again you don't know what your getting and requires more work.

Thanks John, would be nice, sounds like they have a lot of experience 35 yrs, but Eagle right I havent seen any distribution in their kits only those that small vents that hang low. I asked Jon for some pictures of the setup and all the specifics.

What small vents? I didn't see any vents at all, just a replacement heater core. I saw NOTHING that even hinted at air distribution or system controls. There has to be more in the "complete kit" than what's shown in the parts listing, but I don't see any detail or breakdown.

There is no way you can avoid taking out the dashboard. The evaporator goes in the same box as the heater core and the dash has to come out to access that. Once you're there, it would be foolish NOT to replace the heater core at the same time. With the dash out, it's also fairly straightforward to install an HVAC control unit out of an XJ that had air, so you can control the system.

I see no advantage at all to buying this kit as opposed to getting a system from a junkyard XJ.

I would just go to the junkyard and get a system from a 1995 to 1996 xj.

this is an R-134 charged system with the proper fittings etc. and being newer, is less likely to be junk.

you will be replacing the a/c drier regardless. once you crack the lines, if you don't plug the drier, it is no longer useable (won't aid in the cooling process)

to do this you need the condensor, all engine bay lines and pump with bracket, tear out the dash, and take the complete heaterbox and switch assembly with it's respective wiring.

the wiring, will have a different connector but you should be able to do a bit of switching and connect it straight to your oem wiring harness...it's a seperate "harness" from the rest of it so no biggy.

Also, either have a shop completely purge and then charge the system after it's installed, or buy a vacuum pump and fittings needed to draw a good vacuum on the system. Any water vapor (which is part of air) left in the system will freeze when running the AC. Ice crystals will ruin the bearings on the compressor in no time flat.

this is an R-134 charged system with the proper fittings etc. and being newer, is less likely to be junk.

Now there's an idea. :brows:

Now there's an idea. :brows:

and my friendly neighborhood JY has several XJ's but the compressor for the 2.5 they might not have . . . . future dreaming

I might take another look at the JY, I just figured after they nickle and dime me for all the parts would have been close to the price of the universal kit. These guys prices are not so cheap as you guys back east and your all you can carry for $50 bucks. I wish we had deals like here you could make a killing on ebay just doing that. :brows:

I never got a response from Jon for pictures of the universal kit, and all the specifics. :roll:

and my friendly neighborhood JY has several XJ's but the compressor for the 2.5 they might not have . . . . future dreaming

The compressor is the same -- it's the brackets and pulleys that might be different.

You don't really WANT to mount the compressor where it "should" go on an early 2.5L. I'm not sure where it belongs on the TBI models, but on the '84 XJ the a/c compressor was mounted along the side of the engine so that the only way (and I ain't kiddin') to replace the #1 spark plug was to unbolt the compressor and swing it out of the way.

I might take another look at the JY, I just figured after they nickle and dime me for all the parts would have been close to the price of the universal kit. These guys prices are not so cheap as you guys back east and your all you can carry for $50 bucks. I wish we had deals like here you could make a killing on ebay just doing that. :brows:

I never got a response from Jon for pictures of the universal kit, and all the specifics. :roll:

hold up a bit.

let me look at my locals for these parts. i could probably get everything cheap in good shape and send it to you for half of that price, as i'm sure others can too. this will take me a few weeks because i've got to deal with insurance on the 3800's dent, gotta get the new mj going so i can park the 3800 (again...:(), and get set up for the badlands in july. once these are taken care of, i can get what you need.

-Pat

The compressor is the same -- it's the brackets and pulleys that might be different.

You don't really WANT to mount the compressor where it "should" go on an early 2.5L. I'm not sure where it belongs on the TBI models, but on the '84 XJ the a/c compressor was mounted along the side of the engine so that the only way (and I ain't kiddin') to replace the #1 spark plug was to unbolt the compressor and swing it out of the way.

So that would mean I'd have to relocate the alternator :hmm: . Also sounds like an SS454 ElCamino I had once, to change back plug on passenger side I had to remove the wheel and use two long extentions and a universal joint on the ratchet over the upper control arm :nuts: I'm not gonna go looking for A/C stuff yet, just a future thought.

I am not sure how many people on forums have installed our systems

into a comanche. We have done one and the pictures are included.

Please take a look and ask any questions you have. The system we used in the Jeep is not on Jeepair.com it is on our other website

nostalgicairparts.com. This is a universal system that we used to put

into a comanche. The system takes about two days to install, and will

include all the necessary parts to add the a/c.

Thanks again

Jon

Image Not Found

WTF?

Image Not Found

Cut firewall?

Image Not Found

Uses same old controls to handle air?

Image Not Found

Passenger side only?

Image Not Found

Junkyard looking better everyday! :brows: