96 Booster

This subject is old, but I was wondering if a 96 Grand Cherokee booster will work on a Comanche, and were do I get the aluminum spacer at thanks. There is a guy that is parting out 96 Grand so I can get all I need to do the swap..

Well I made one then found a 96 at the jy that already had the spacer,, I say its really close to 1/4 .. maybe a lil more from the lil white foam piece that was also on it.. I didnt mic it out,,, i think if you went thinker it'd work.. maybe 3/8...It doesnt have to a precise measurement.

All that + some new lines from p-valve to mater cyl.

The two wires in the middle of the 96 switch are the ones you'll be needing to use.

When you get the pedal get some good pictures,, I didnt get the pedal assy because it was an auto, and I have 5 spd. but if I can somehow use it and my clutch pedal, I'll go back and get the pedal.

I used a 96 XJ booster, no spacer, and the pedal assembly from the same vehicle. I tried to mod the end of the pushrod to work with my '87 brakelight switch, but ground off too much of the end of it, and the switch couldn't make contact :oops:

It was a PITA swap (the pedal assembly), but the overall mod was probably one of the best one I've done so far. I'm running 33X12.5's on 10" steelies, and I can lock them up now.

Here's my writeup on it:

http://comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopi ... highlight=

Jeff

So the 96 booster will work. Is there any thing else I need, I am going to get the pedal assembly and the brake light switch. Is that all I need..

What year is your MJ? You might not need the pedal assembly.

i used my original pedals in my 87 but used the bracket for the 96 and the switch of the 96 also

Think you can go in depth on that?? I Want to use my pedals, but I also want to use the newer switch... Did you have to weld it on?? I know when I looked up at the pedals I saw those 2 bolts and was like,,,"oh he!! no"....

But if I can work the newer pedal in the old bracket that has the clutch pedal, I'll go and get the thing..

i used my original pedals in my 87 but used the bracket for the 96 and the switch of the 96 also

Think you can go in depth on that?? I Want to use my pedals, but I also want to use the newer switch... Did you have to weld it on?? I know when I looked up at the pedals I saw those 2 bolts and was like,,,"oh he!! no"....

But if I can work the newer pedal in the old bracket that has the clutch pedal, I'll go and get the thing..

Ok the 96 pedal bracket has a provision for the 96 switch obviously..LOL..the pedals have a long bolt that goes throught them so they can be removed from the bracket itself...all i did was is reuse my brake/clutch pedals in the 96 bracket so i still had my brake pedal and now had the spot for the newer switch...all my stuff was bolt in...didnt have to weld anything or even swap the rod in the booster like everyone else does...it was one of the easiest mods ive done and plan on doing it to my 90XJ...i already swapped in the 96 bracket and switch..just waiting to find the booster :D

any other questions just feel free to ask

Ok the 96 pedal bracket has a provision for the 96 switch obviously..LOL..the pedals have a long bolt that goes throught them so they can be removed from the bracket itself...all i did was is reuse my brake/clutch pedals in the 96 bracket so i still had my brake pedal and now had the spot for the newer switch...all my stuff was bolt in...didnt have to weld anything or even swap the rod in the booster like everyone else does...it was one of the easiest mods ive done and plan on doing it to my 90XJ...i already swapped in the 96 bracket and switch..just waiting to find the booster :D

any other questions just feel free to ask

OK... :D

What size are those 2 top bolts?? Whats the easiest way to get to them? Do you know if the newer bracket has a spot for the clutch, that is if the newer bracket is from an auto???

Thanks, jt

For an auto, there are 4 nuts that attach to the studs on the booster that hold the pedal bracket to the firewall. They are 14 or 15mm. The two nuts on top are larger, 17mm IIRC. The auto bracket doesn't have provisions for the clutch pedal. The manual bracket has an extended piece at the bottom (at the firewall) that has a stud in it for the clutch master. It is a royal PITA to get all four booster studs and that stud for the clutch thru the firewall and lined up. At least for me it was.....I think an extra pair of hands holding the booster from the engine side while you line everything up would make it easier.

Jeff

For an auto, there are 4 nuts that attach to the studs on the booster that hold the pedal bracket to the firewall. They are 14 or 15mm. The two nuts on top are larger, 17mm IIRC. The auto bracket doesn't have provisions for the clutch pedal. The manual bracket has an extended piece at the bottom (at the firewall) that has a stud in it for the clutch master. It is a royal PITA to get all four booster studs and that stud for the clutch thru the firewall and lined up. At least for me it was.....I think an extra pair of hands holding the booster from the engine side while you line everything up would make it easier.

Jeff

OH yeah I know what your talking about it took me a hour just to get the booster through the firewall because the bracket wanted to spring together... Big PITA!!

I think I'll take the booster back out, my bracket and get the jy bracket then set them all side by side to see what I can conjure up....