92 XJ, full cage, 70K miles, how much?

jage

My friend has a 92 XJ with 70K miles and an auto. I've been looking for a reliable deal and I think this might be it- however I don't know how much to offer and he doesn't know how much it's worth.

He had a cage put in 7 years ago, bumpers, rock rails and a tire carrier built right. Then he bought something else and it's been sitting. It's been tuned up with new belts, hoses, etc. in the last 5 months.

The bad news is it's bone stock aside from the cage & bumpers, the body was completely primered and the primer is starting to surface rust, and the interior is removed save for the driver's seat- it's all there, just sitting in the back. There might be some mold smell too.

The dilemma is- I want to buy it and he wants to sell, but neither of us is sure how much it's worth. I don't want to take advantage because he's a friend, but I also don't want to give him $1000 because we're both ignorant.

So- comments, suggestions? I'm all over the board but I won't have photos until this weekend so any input is welcome.

Would like to see pics, but from the description I would say not more than $1800.

My son bought a '96 a couple months ago that is stock, but in pristine showroom condition inside & out with only 59K on it for $3500.

OK a 92 xj in running condition sells for around 1500 around here. Factor in it needs 50 bucks worth of sand paper and paint.. I would question about the cage.. how it was built and what it was built out of. I say no more then 1500

In my experience... "shop cages" cost lots more cause you are having to pay way to much in Labor :brows: If you go by the 50% rule that make the rig worth 1500, plus figure a 1000 cause it runs good.. give 2500, and then spend another 1000-1500 making it the way you want.