Interchangeable Parts??

Sorry if this is already posted somewhere, I have done some looking but can not seem to find anything on it.

I am getting ready to start a rebuild project on a 1986 MJ with my 12 year old son and maybe 15 year old daughter (if I can get her to get dirty lol). I was wondering what all year model MJ's or cherokees will interchange on front end and doors, tailgate, interior, etc.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, and I will post pics once I get started for all of you to see. I have a very unique idea in mind, and I hope you all will like it when we are done. Very new to the rebuilding scene though so don't expect a quick job lol.

Body parts from any MJ with fit, they never changed them throughout the entire 86-92 run. 84 through 96 XJ (Cherokee) parts will fit from the seats forward. The seats themselves are the same, but use different brackets, and I think the doors interchange with 4 door Cherokee front doors.

I've seen a few people on here sell tailgates, check the clasified section.

What some people have also done is replace the front with one from a 97-??? Cherokee. It will fit, but the line are a little off. If you replace the fenders with the same range, the lines will line up.

Some people have also gone the other way and installed a Wagoneer front on their truck.

If you need a bed, you may have to go far south to find one (Texas, Nevada etc.) Nothern ones seem to all have holes rotted through, and nobody makes aftermarket parts for them.

:agree: The information above is good, I just wanted to confirm that the he is correct in the fact that the front doors from a 4 door XJ will fit as I had to do it on mine ;) .

Start a thread in the project forum when you get rolling with it so we can watch. :D

Yup, front 4 door XJ doors are identical. 2 door ones won't fit because they're longer.

Engine bay/suspension-wise, they're also identical. The front axle in my red MJ is from a 94 XJ and my transmission is out of an 86 XJ.

Yup, front 4 door XJ doors are identical. 2 door ones won't fit because they're longer.

Engine bay/suspension-wise, they're also identical. The front axle in my red MJ is from a 94 XJ and my transmission is out of an 86 XJ.

Actually the 1986 MJ is not identical to the 87-92 MJs. The firewall is different, and I believe the radiator mount is different too. ;)

The '86 hood is different, too. Same size, same shape -- but has a single latch at the center rather than two latches at the ouboard corners. Adaptation is possible but getting an '86 hood for an '86 vehicle and any other year hood for an '87 or newer MJ is much easier.

Actually the 1986 MJ is not identical to the 87-92 MJs. The firewall is different, and I believe the radiator mount is different too. ;)

Yes, but the 86 MJ is identical to the 86 XJ.

• 12 years later...

I recently bought a 1988 Comanche that needs restoration and I came across this trend. Can anyone please confirm which XJ year will fit my 1988 Comanche. I need the drivers and passengers door replaced. 

• 4 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Brian Rodgers said:

Very interesting subjects. I own an 1989 jeep comanche 2.5 rear wheel drive. There are many new parts I put on but their are somethings I can find. Such as a rear sliding window. Just need the middle one that slides.

C.R Lawrence sells a new sliding rear window. I can't say on how good it is I haven't got one yet.

• 1 month later...