Harbor Freights ball joint tool

deziped

isn't worth a damn. Got through the drivers side okay, but, when I started the pass side it deflected out of shape under moderate pressure. In other words the screw no longer centered thru the hole at other end. Not even close. No way it would put even pressure on the joints, just kept tracking off to one side or the other. Chucked it across the back yard & over the fence. FWIW, spend the extra money for good quality tools and save a lot of wasted time & frustation. Yeah I read the other unfavorable comments about it on here, but, I thought what the hell it can at least get thru 4 joints. Wrong.

isn't worth a damn. Got through the drivers side okay, but, when I started the pass side it deflected out of shape under moderate pressure. In other words the screw no longer centered thru the hole at other end. Not even close. No way it would put even pressure on the joints, just kept tracking off to one side or the other. Chucked it across the back yard & over the fence. FWIW, spend the extra money for good quality tools and save a lot of wasted time & frustation. Yeah I read the other unfavorable comments about it on here, but, I thought what the hell it can at least get thru 4 joints. Wrong.

I read the same stuff and skipped the HF Tool and picked up the OTC 7249 + 7894 from Amazon.Com...kind of pricey, but still less than my local shop wanted to charge me in labor to do the 4 joints...

YUP, you are correct...IT SUX FOR BALL JOINTS.

I used mine about 5-6 times for U Joints and LOVED IT!! Then I used it for a couple CA bushings, it worked pretty well there as well. BUT then i had a Ball joint job...WHAT A JOB, this thing just stretches, it lacks the strength to push. When I removed the tool it was twisted and stretched.....

I got SUPER LUCKY... A buddie who frequents "Tag/Lawn" sales. Picked up a SNAP-ON ball joint tool and most of the adapters. He GAVE IT TO ME!!!! jamminz.gif :brows:

CW

Multiple sets of ball joints and u-joints on my cheapie HF tool, still going strong!!! I consider it one of my best investments so far. I have had mine for a few years though, maybe they cheapened it out even more since I bought mine.

And you press them back in by hand after torching them. :D

Three auto parts in this town and none rent tools. Maybe they never got returned so they quit. As a matter of fact, they don't even sell a ball joint tool.