Upgrading instrument cluster on 87 MJ

yea its plug 'n' play with the swap of sensors..two of them. You have to get the large oil pressure sensor, and a coolant sensor. there are two kinds of speedos. One electric, and one thats cable driven.. you need to find a cluster that uses a cable, and you can get those in 90 and below xj's.. (i think thats the right year..correct me if i'm wrong) When you find a donor get the coolant sensor, and oil pressure sensor... Swap the sensors with the cluster... Thats it.

jtdesigns is right about how easy it is. The hardest part is finding the cluster, but if you post in the classified forum here you should be able to get ahold of one. A lot of guys around here will grab them when they spot them at a junk yard and usually sell them at pretty reasonable prices. I got mine off of here for I believe $40 shipped. The swap itself is like a half hour job. I don't think the year 1990 would work, I believe it has to be 87-89, and out of a 4.0 if that is what you have.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=921205

there are two kinds of speedos. One electric, and one thats cable driven.. you need to find a cluster that uses a cable, and you can get those in 90 and below xj's..

Actually, there are three kinds of speedos. Two of them use cables, and the attachment of the cable to the speedo head is different. One (the early type) uses a metal clip to hold the cable to the speedo. The later type uses a white nylon clamp. Unfortunately, 1987 was the "swing" year, and I believe the change may have been made mid-year in 1987, so you need to look at YOUR speedometer to determine which type of cable attachment you have.

there are two kinds of speedos. One electric, and one thats cable driven.. you need to find a cluster that uses a cable, and you can get those in 90 and below xj's..

Actually, there are three kinds of speedos. Two of them use cables, and the attachment of the cable to the speedo head is different. One (the early type) uses a metal clip to hold the cable to the speedo. The later type uses a white nylon clamp. Unfortunately, 1987 was the "swing" year, and I believe the change may have been made mid-year in 1987, so you need to look at YOUR speedometer to determine which type of cable attachment you have.

Look at the screwheads that hold the faceplate of the speedometer on, they are either slotted or phillips head. I can't remember which is which now, but each screw type corresponds to each type of cable. Just make sure your replacement cluster has the same screwhead type as your original one and the cable will be compatible....or if they are different get the speedo cable that was attached to the new cluster and replace your cable. If you go the replace-the-cable route, make sure the donor vehicle is the same # wheel drive as yours (2 or 4WD), as they are different length cables (4WD is longer).

Jeff